× Members

ESA(IR)suddenly stopped after Sanctions threats.

• James
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #120140 by James
After protracted negotiations with my assigned JC+Job Advisor it emerged that
a precedent was not going to be set by my attending an initial interview.
Thus after some 9 months eventually Sanctions were threatened and the Advisor said on the phone they were going to forward my case to The DWP.
After a month I have heard absolutely nothing.
However I noticed the other day in checking the building society account that payment from The DWP have stopped all together beginning about a month ago.
I am not surprised but am wondering why I am not being told what is going on?
No letter at all or other message has been received.No requests to state reasons or fill out further forms.
They just stopped.
Co incidentally Housing Benefit was reassssed in April and their payments seem to have gone up with a back payment made.
I hope to try to get further information in coming days
but pleasecan you advise regarding this worrying development?
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #120147 by Gordon
James

As previously discussed, the DWP cannot stop all of your ESA payment by sanctioning you, just the Personal Allowance, which is usually £71.70/week.

Any Decision to do this must be made in writing to you explaining he basis of the sanction and notifying you of your right to challenge it.

I can't offer any more advice until you have a more detailed understanding of what is going on by contacting the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 week ago #120149 by HarryC
Why have you been sanctioned and why were they threatened? I do not fully understand your post.

• James
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #120151 by James
Well it appears something is amiss then.
Do I not remember that perhaps Claims can just be closed down at the whim of a DWP
Decision Maker?
Was there not something in the sanctions blurb about a short period of total stoppage prior to the reduced rate then being paid?
Perhaps a letter has gone missing in the post does the system allow for this possibility
as If it appeared I had not responded would they then be able to shut the claim and after how long after "not hearing"?
Perhaps I've left it too late?
I was exepecting the reduced component rate until September 2014 when IR runs out anyway,
but am shocked at this premature occurence,
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 week ago #120157 by Gordon

James wrote: Well it appears something is amiss then.
Do I not remember that perhaps Claims can just be closed down at the whim of a DWP
Decision Maker?
Was there not something in the sanctions blurb about a short period of total stoppage prior to the reduced rate then being paid?
Perhaps a letter has gone missing in the post does the system allow for this possibility
as If it appeared I had not responded would they then be able to shut the claim and after how long after "not hearing"?
Perhaps I've left it too late?
I was exepecting the reduced component rate until September 2014 when IR runs out anyway,
but am shocked at this premature occurence,

It is possible that a sanction might cause a delay in payment but not a total stoppage.

There are numerous reasons why the DWP can suspend payment, but until you contact the DWP and find out what is going on, any suggestion is purely a guess.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: James

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.