× Members

ESA and benefits moving in with a friend

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #120177 by newbie27
hi
due to my condition and my anxiety, i can no longer live alone i live in a one bedrrom flat
i currently get
low rate mobility
middle rate care
and
full housing benefit
ESA support group and the disability premium as i live on my own

if i move into a friends house and be a lodger, we are not partners or anything just friends he has a good job,
moving in so he can support me and my condition
what benefits would i be able to keep and what benefits would i lose?
thanks
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #120184 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and benefits moving in with a friend
newbie27

I am going to recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor as this can be a complicated area and it is better to get it right from the outset than play catch up with the DWP. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

I would expect you to lose the Severe Disability Premium as you will no longer be living alone, it may still be possible to retain it, but it will be totally dependant on your living arrangements, an advisor can go through the requirements with you.

There should not be problems with the ESA, however, your friend may need to sign a declaration that you are not in a relationship, again your living arrangements e.g. rent book, etc. will be a factor on whether this is necessary.

You should also be receiving the Enhanced Disability Premium for being in the Support Group, this should not be effected.

Your Housing Benefit will change but there may be no net change.

Your DLA will not be effected.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: pollenpath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.