× Members

ESA WRAG to Support Group

More
10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #120465 by Mr Kim Catherall
ESA WRAG to Support Group was created by Mr Kim Catherall
I'm in the throes of filling in an ESA50 for migration to the SG.
I've looked at the guides available, but cannot find anything regarding the above.
There is a guide 'Incapacity for Work claims on Physical Health Grounds'
But nothing for migrating to the Support Group itself.
Any advice in this respect please.
Last edit: 10 years 5 days ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 days ago #120468 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA WRAG to Support Group
Hi,

The guides clearly state how and why points can be scored for each section and where the Support Group indicators are. Alongside this, this FAQ also points out the Support Group descriptors.

Qualifying for the Support Group

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Kim Catherall

More
10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #120497 by Mr Kim Catherall
Replied by Mr Kim Catherall on topic ESA WRAG to Support Group
Regardless, I think that I'm on a hiding to nothing in this respect.
My GP eventually agreed to write a supporting letter. I showed him Rule 35 and told him he should quote it etc.
Unfortunately he stated "that I should be in a support group as I feel that involvement in WRAG would is likely to cause a further deterioration in his symptoms, ie: an increase in pain"

Is it worth filling in the ESA50?
Last edit: 10 years 5 days ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 5 days ago #120510 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA WRAG to Support Group
KC

You may have created a Catch 22 for yourself.

Whilst a Supersessions (in this context) primary aim is to see whether a claimant qualifies for a higher award, it is none the less a full review of their condition and a Decision Maker is not limited to dealing with whether an increased award is justified or not, they can make any award or none that they believe the evidence supports.

So if you decide to remove the request for a Supersession you must ensure that this is at no fault to you and that your existing award will continue, this needs to be in writing from the DWP. If they do not give such an assurance then you may be compelled to continue with the assessment process in order to avoid a Fit for Work Decision, either because you have failed to return the ESA50 or failed the assessment.

From your previous posts I believe you ESA is no longer in payment and you do not qualify for ESA(IR), also you have stated that you have sufficient NI Contributions and/or Credits, does take into account the changes to the State Pension qualification which may be enacted in the next Parliament? This may well effect the decision you wish to make

To qualify under Regulation 35 you need to show that you

- suffer from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement, and

- because of that disease or disablement, there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have limited capability for work-related activity.

I don't think that your GP's letter is a positive statement of the above, but neither would I say that it wholely fails to support it, however, if this is your only medical evidence you will be pressed to prove your case unless you can show that it is reasonable for you to experience more pain as a result of WRA which will to some considerable extent will be dependant on your underlying conditions.

Ultimately, to continue or not is a decision that only you can make.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 days ago - 10 years 3 days ago #120601 by Mr Kim Catherall
Replied by Mr Kim Catherall on topic ESA WRAG to Support Group
A very informative reply Gordon, thank you.
The GP's support letter has been sent to my adviser for due consideration.
If she thinks there is some merit in proceeding I will.
I think that Atos would be unwise to make a Fit for Work decision as this would be counter to the tribunal decision and my GP's.
But we are dealing with the DWP & Atos, there is history between us!

What is a Supersession, an extended version of the physical WCA?
Last edit: 10 years 3 days ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 days ago #120607 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA WRAG to Support Group

Mr Kim Catherall wrote: A very informative reply Gordon, thank you.
The GP's support letter has been sent to my adviser for due consideration.
If she thinks there is some merit in proceeding I will.
I think that Atos would be unwise to make a Fit for Work decision as this would be counter to the tribunal decision and my GP's.
But we are dealing with the DWP & Atos, there is history between us!

What is a Supersession, an extended version of the physical WCA?

A Supersession is the technical name for you requesting a re-assessment because of a deterioration in your condition.

A failure to return the ESA50 or to attend an assessment without Good Cause can result in what is referred to as a technical Fit for Work Decision, that is why it I mentioned the Catch 22, this can be appealed but not on the grounds of your health, only your reasons for not returning the ESA50 or attending the WCA, further, a finding in your favour merely re-establishes the requirement, not removes it.

The law in this area is unclear, in principle you have the right to withdraw the request for a Supersession, however, the DWP are also entitled to initiate a re-assessment at any time after three months from the previous Decision. Historically the DWP have cared little about claimants reporting a deterioration, they are far more interested in those who have improved, but we have seen an increasing number of strange decisions coming out of the DWP recently, so I feel obliged to make you aware of all the implications.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.