× Members

Pip

More
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #120560 by Mags
Pip was created by Mags
Hi B&W

I have been advised by a friend to do a c.o.c. with my dla, I am unable to walk over 20 metres without pain and takes me ages to do it, hubby wants to get me a wheelchair so we can go out more, but I am in a pip area and don't know whether it's worth it for all the hassle that goes with it?

Any thoughts?

Mags
Last edit: 10 years 4 days ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 days ago #120566 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip

Mags wrote: Hi B&W

I have been advised by a friend to do a c.o.c. with my dla, I am unable to walk over 20 metres without pain and takes me ages to do it, hubby wants to get me a wheelchair so we can go out more, but I am in a pip area and don't know whether it's worth it for all the hassle that goes with it?

Any thoughts?

Mags

If you are in a PIP area then I would expect a CofC to result in an invitation for you to claim PIP, so you really need to go through the PIP Claim guide to see how strong a claim you have, as once you go down this route you will not be able to retain your DLA whether you are awarded PIP or not.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #120571 by Mags
Replied by Mags on topic Pip
Hi Gordon

Thank you I will look through the guides, is there anywhere where there is a specimen for the pip forms I understand there are two?

I would like a look at these to see.

Many thanks
Mags

More
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #120576 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip

Mags wrote: Hi Gordon

Thank you I will look through the guides, is there anywhere where there is a specimen for the pip forms I understand there are two?

I would like a look at these to see.

Many thanks
Mags

I believe there are links to example forms in the guide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mags

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #120580 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Pip

Mags wrote: Hi B&W

Any thoughts?

Mags

From my experience, it would be to your advantage if you were supplied with a wheelchair by the NHS rather than your husband purchasing one for you. If you contact your GP, and they agree you need one they will refer you to your nearest Disability Centre for assessment, and a manual NHS wheelchair can be supplied quite quickly through GP's.

As well as being a retired WRO, I used to sit on DLA Tribunals, and it wasn't uncommon for claimants to arrive in wheelchairs they'd borrowed or purchased cheap online just for the Tribunal hearing. It's quite easy to spot them, not for one minute suggesting that you fall into this category.

See : NHS Wheelchair Services

See also this recent guide for Decision Makers on Use of Aids and Appliances especially paragraphs 9-13 which deals with aids or appliances not prescribed by a health care professional.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 4 days ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added information after forum locked
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mags

More
10 years 4 days ago #120586 by Mags
Replied by Mags on topic Pip
Hi Jim

Thanks for the info, going to ring my surgery in the morning and get a telephone app. with my doctor, this is the third one in two years but she is fantastic, and I know she will help.

Many thanks
Mags
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.