× Members

Home visit accepted recorded? How can i prepare?

• Mathew
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120687 by Mathew
Good afternoon, I am a 23 year old male suffering from Ongoing Depressive Disorder with anxiety and delusional thoughts diagnosed by a doctor at the hospital. I have been claiming ESA since November 2013 and was accepted for a home visit after my doctor did a supporting letter. The assessment is due for the 23rd of May 2014 I have recently just sent in a report from the mental health team at the hospital but not heard anything back... I'm getting more and more nervous about this assessment as my bedroom is the only place I feel comfortable and safe, I never leave my house unless accompanied and cannot stand public places :(
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120690 by Gordon
Mathew

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

To prepare for the assessment there are a couple of things you should look at.

First, have a look at ESA Claim guides, I appreciate that you have already submitted your ESA50 but going through these will allow you to confirm whether you have provided the best answer that you could for each of the questions but also explains the underlying Descriptors that you are being assessed against.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Secondly, towards the back of the guides is a list of the questions that you are likely to be asked at the assessment. these may seem obtuse as very few relate directly to your conditions, much of the ESA assessment is done by assumption unless the claimant clarifies their answers, so for example; a question about whether you watch the TV will lead to conclusions about your ability to sit, your sight and hearing, ability to concentrate.

There are two options in regard to recording the assessment. First you can request that it is recorded by ATOS, they will use a dual deck CD or cassette player and give you a copy. You must request this in advance of the assessment. It is unusual for home assessments to be recorded but it can be done, there is a template letter for requesting this in the guides and a MS-Word template in the same area as the guides, it is at ATOS's discretion whether they agree to do this and you cannot refuse to continue with the assessment if the request is refused as this can lead to your file being returned to the DWP and your claim closed.

You can also covertly record the assessment, however, ATOS assessors have instructions to terminate the interview if it becomes apparent that the claimant is recording it, this is classed as a failure to participate and can also lead to your file being returned to the DWP, so be careful if you go down this route.

If there are any other questions that you have, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help your. The forum has just closed for the afternoon but is open again this evening 8-10pm.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Mathew
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago #120694 by Mathew
I have already been accepted for the home assessment and they are going to record it also :) which is good I guess... Just worried about what I can do prior to the assessment apparently been carried out by a doctor also

• Mathew
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120766 by Mathew
I have been stressed to the point of wanting to hurt myself :( this whole process is just one big mess... Is there anything I can do regarding telling my doctor or someone to help more?

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #120770 by Gordon

Mathew wrote: I have been stressed to the point of wanting to hurt myself :( this whole process is just one big mess... Is there anything I can do regarding telling my doctor or someone to help more?

Do you have a GP and are they involved in your treatment? If so then it would be worth your arranging to see them to ask for the help.

If you are not being seen by your GP then you can have a look to see whether there are any charities that deal with your conditions, most have a web site, they might be able to provide additional advice and contacts.

Finally, if you feel that you are at immediate risk of hurting yourself then you can contact the Samaritans and if desperate your local Accident & Emergency service.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Mathew
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120772 by Mathew
I am panicking so much about the questions they are going to ask at the assessment and that I'll just totally forget everything that I want to say and put across :(

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.