× Members

ESA finished - what to do next

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120843 by keddi
ESA finished - what to do next was created by keddi
First of all apologies if someone else has asked this. I have problems with my sight and cannot read through all the threads.

I am/was in the WRAG and my 12 months contributions based ESA has finished. I have read and been given contradictory advice by the DWP as to what to do next.

From what I understand I may be able to do nothing for 12 weeks and then reclaim contributions based ESA. If I have paid enough NI in the appropriate previous tax year I will get money again.

I have been given a ESA3 form to claim income based ESA but know I won't be eligible for money as my partner works full time. One person at DWP said I needed to fill this in anyway to take care of my NI contributions. A second person said this wasn't so.

My questions is, should I fill in the form for income based ESA to keep my claim open and NI paid.
Or should I close my claim and reclaim after 12 weeks,
Or, should I do nothing and then reclaim after 12 weeks? (if so, does this happen automatically or do I need to request a form?)

I am still being asked to go to Worked Focused interviews.

Many thanks
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120851 by
Replied by on topic ESA finished - what to do next

keddi wrote: First of all apologies if someone else has asked this. I have problems with my sight and cannot read through all the threads.

I am/was in the WRAG and my 12 months contributions based ESA has finished. I have read and been given contradictory advice by the DWP as to what to do next.

From what I understand I may be able to do nothing for 12 weeks and then reclaim contributions based ESA. If I have paid enough NI in the appropriate previous tax year I will get money again.

I have been given a ESA3 form to claim income based ESA but know I won't be eligible for money as my partner works full time. One person at DWP said I needed to fill this in anyway to take care of my NI contributions. A second person said this wasn't so.

My questions is, should I fill in the form for income based ESA to keep my claim open and NI paid.
Or should I close my claim and reclaim after 12 weeks,
Or, should I do nothing and then reclaim after 12 weeks? (if so, does this happen automatically or do I need to request a form?)

I am still being asked to go to Worked Focused interviews.

Many thanks

Hi k,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

There is an option to close your ESA claim and make a fresh claim for CB ESA after the 12 weeks linking rule period has expired.

However, for this to give you a fresh entitlement to CB ESA you would need to have the requisite number of NI Contributions from employment in the two previous qualifying years.

After 05/01/14 the two relevant qualifying years are 2011/2012 & 2012/2013.

If you do not have enough NI Contributions as above for those years, you would have no further entitlement to CB ESA.

Therefore, if you were working in that period, but you are not certain that you have the requisite number of NI Contributions, it may be advisable to gain face to face advice :

Where to get advice

Or, you could put Welfare Rights/Advice for your Town/Postcode into your search engine.

See also :

www.gov.uk/national-insurance/overview

www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/check-record.htm

See a previous post from Gordon Re : this :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?catid=10...=topic&start=6#78598

You do not have to fill in an ESA3 to maintain your NI Credits, as once payment of your CB ESA ceases after 365 days if not in The SG you will be classed as being in receipt of a nil rate award and your NI Credits will still be awarded.

However, these NI Credits will go towards your State Pension only.

See : 12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

An ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form is only used to assess your entitlement to IR ESA.

If as you say your partner works more than 24 hours/week, you would not be entitled to any IR ESA.

Even though your payments of CB ESA will cease, your assessment of Limited Capability for Work (LCW) (WRAG) will still exist until you are reassessed and a fresh decision is made.

So, even though you no longer have to comply with any WFI's or WRA whilst in receipt of a "nil rate" award, :

See :

DMG Chapter 53 53014. 4.

53014 The conditions1 referred to in DMG 53013 are that the claimant is :

1. entitled to ESA or an advance award of ESA2 has been made (DMG 53200 et seq)

and

2. not a member of the support group

and

3. under the age at which a woman of the same age as the claimant attains pensionable age (see DMG Chapter 75) and

#4. not a person who is only entitled to ESA(Cont) payable at nil rate#

5. not a lone parent who is responsible for and a member of the same household
as a child aged under one.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...e/297548/dmgch53.pdf

(As you don’t have to comply with WFI’s you don’t have to comply with WRA either.)

(cont) you will still have to undergo periodic reassessment of the WRAG award.

This will involve a fresh ESA50, WCA, etc.

Therefore, you do not have to fill in an ESA 3 to maintain your NI Credits.

As things stand, as long as you maintain a Continuous assessment of LCW, if you are placed into The SG at some future reassessment, or as a result of a review due to a change or deterioration in your condition, payment of CB ESA will be reinstated, and remain in payment for as long as you remain in The SG.

It is therefore important that you are sure that you have the necessary NI Contributions for re-entitlement to payment of CB ESA before you close your claim and make a fresh one.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by .

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120919 by keddi
Replied by keddi on topic ESA finished - what to do next
Wow. Thank you for that comprehensive reply.

Can I just clarify. If I think I have the necessary NI contributions to get ESA (CB) after the 12 week gap - do I need to close the claim before I can make a new one or can I continue without money until 12 weeks are up and then reapply?

Many thanks
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 11 months ago #120925 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA finished - what to do next
Keddi

This is a complicated area and although there is DWP guidance

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-13-12.pdf

we have also seen a number of cases where it has been initially ignored so I would recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor before proceedings, if there are problems with a re-claim, you will need the help of such a person in communicating with the DWP.

To be able to make a reclaim you need to meet three Conditions in regard you NI Contribution History, the following is a summary, there are exceptions to these rules

First you need to have paid at least one full year of Class 1 NICs (employment) or Class 2 NICs (self-employment) in either of the last full Tax Years.

Secondly, you need to have paid or acquired two years of NICs (as above) and/or NI Credits (from benefits) in the last two full Tax Years.

Finally, one of the Tax Years used to make a new claim must be newer than those used to the previous claim.

You do not need to close your previous claim, but must wait 12 full weeks before making a new claim for ESA(CB), this also means you cannot back date the claim. This is very important, if you close the current claim you will not be paid any further NI Credits and you lose the opportunity to request a re-assessment to be placed in the SG unless your new claim is successful.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.