× Members

Question about reconsideration

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120981 by KED
Question about reconsideration was created by KED
I care for my partner who has schizophrenia, anxiety and a host of other physical and mental health problems. Some time ago she was put in the WRAG For ESA, even though we felt she should have been in the support group, she gets so distressed about anything to do with possibly loosing her income that she decided to let it be. Thankfully they never asked her to actually attend any 'WRA' but today she met with her adviser who said that she needed to write to the DWP asking for a reconsideration to be put in the support group as her situation has significantly worsened. He's given us four weeks to lodge something otherwise he will have to start pushing her to attend things and she will face sanctions etc.

The situation is particularly bad now because my own health has worsened so that I can't actually physically help her anymore, I can't get her to appointments or help her get out of the house (we don't live together), recently she dropped a kettle of boiling water on her foot.

Anyway, my question is.... from looking at some of the documents here it seems to suggest that what we need to do is make a completely fresh claim..... (We are way beyond any appeal or mandatory reconsideration deadline), the job centre advice was just to send a letter with new medical evidence asking for her placements in WRAG to be reconsidered - is this right? Do you have any advice on this? (I never trust what's said by DWP staff as it's often so wrong!)

Thank you
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120984 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Question about reconsideration
KD

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I am afraid that the advice you have received from the JC+ advisor is only partially correct.

You don't say when the Decision was made to place your partner in the WRAG was made?

Providing it is less than 13 months, then you can still make a Late Appeal to be placed in the Support Group, this of course assumes that you can show that they met the Support Group Criteria when they were originally assessed, any deterioration since then cannot be considered.

If the Decision was before 28 October 2013 then you can lodge the appeal directly with the DWP, if it was on or after this date then you must first request a Mandatory Reconsideration, have a look at our ESA MR and Appeal guide for more information.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Lodging an appeal should prevent your partner being forwarded to the Work Programme.

If you cannot show they met the SG criteria when originally assessed or more than 13 months have passed since the Decision was made, then you can ask for your partner to be re-assessed due to a deteriorated condition, this will likely result in a new ESA50 being issued and probably a requirement for a face to face assessment.

I would not expect this request will not stop your partner being forwarded to the Work Programme, however, the JC+ advisor may still be able decide not to make the recommendation.

You should make the request for re-assessment in writing to the DWP office that normally deals with her claim, whilst timescales should come down as the year progresses, re-assessments at the moment are regularly taking 12 months or more.

If you have any questions on the above, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KED

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #125226 by KED
Replied by KED on topic Question about reconsideration
Just wanted to let you know that when we asked for reconsideration, they sent us form, we filled it in using your guides and within a couple of weeks they got back saying my partner would be moved from the WRAG to Support Group, with no medical!!!! thank you so much for your help :)
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

9 years 6 months ago #125229 by
Replied by on topic Question about reconsideration

KED wrote: Just wanted to let you know that when we asked for reconsideration, they sent us form, we filled it in using your guides and within a couple of weeks they got back saying my partner would be moved from the WRAG to Support Group, with no medical!!!! thank you so much for your help :)

Hi K,

Taking into account current timescales, that was a quick review/supersession of your partner's WRAG award.

Well done on The SG award without the need for a "medical", you must have done a good job with the ESA50 !!! :cheer:

Thanks for returning to let us know. :)

Any additional monies owed as a result of being placed into The SG should be backdated to the date that they received the ESA50 back from you.

As your partner is now in the SG, they will no longer have to take part in any WFI's or WRA.

bro58

More
9 years 6 months ago #125234 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic Question about reconsideration
Absolutely delighted for you :)

Mari

More
9 years 6 months ago #125305 by june cunningham
Replied by june cunningham on topic Question about reconsideration
Well done! I am going to have to do the same on behalf of my son .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.