× Members

descriptors for esa.

• Kevin Davies
  • Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #121127 by Kevin Davies
descriptors for esa. was created by Kevin Davies
the mobility descriptor says " walk 50 metres in a reasonable time". How long is a reasonable time, 50 metres in 5 mins 10 mins etc. thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #121132 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic descriptors for esa.
KD

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I hope this won't disillusion you on your first post.

The first thing to say is that the form and the ESA Descriptors are two separate things, although it is the form that you are using to report your limitations, it is the Descriptors that you will be assessed against, the two are not entirely the same!

Neither use the word "walk", I believe the form says move and the Descriptor, which is the important one, uses the word mobilise. Our ESA Claim guides explain exactly what each Descriptor means;

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Mobilising encompasses at one end walking and at the other, self-propelling a manual wheelchair over an equivalent distance, whether you use or even own such a wheelchair is not relevant, as long as the usage can be considered reasonable. Reasons why it might not be are that it is impractical for you to use one, for example you live in a flat and there is no lift to transport the chair down to street level, or you cannot physically use one, again as an illustration, you have an upper body injury that would prevent you propelling it or heart or lung problems that make it too strenuous.

I am afraid there is no legal definition of what is reasonable, there are some illustrations above of what is not reasonable in regard the wheelchair but there is nothing as far as I am aware that covers the time taken to walk a particular distance. PIP does define reasonable timescales as being twice what an able bodied person would require, although DLA does not define it specifically the claim form also uses a figure of 2x, so I would use this as a reference point and argue your case, obviously higher factors are better than lower ones and wherever possible you should try and give accurate examples.

I hope this explains it better, but if not please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.