× Members

Using your computer on a wireless network.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #121180 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Using your computer on a wireless network. was created by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
This is for information only for members and is not benefits related.

Members should be aware that if they access the internet wirelessly, they should be aware of the risks involved whether they use a PC on Windows or Apple Mac computer.

My ISP has just e-mailed me pointing out the dangers of accessing the internet via a wireless connection both from home or from public Wi-Fi. This is fine if you're using B & W or similar web sites, but not for tasks such as banking online or purchasing goods or services online.

Apparently, it's possible for fraudsters using a radio frequency scanner and passing any wireless connection within range to pick up personal details and make fraudulent transactions.

I'm an Apple Mac user and have been since 1994 and have all kinds of security software installed on my Mac, including a firewall which allows me to put all our three Mac's in what's called 'stealth mode' which means that none of the Macs we use can be detected, as they're invisible when online.

Nevertheless, I now do all banking transactions, online shopping etc via Ethernet, rather than wirelessly, thus preventing any chance of any of my computers being hacked.

I haven't used Windows since Windows 98, although both my Mac laptop and my wife's can run Windows or Mac software.

If you have internet access via cable or satellite, you are pretty much 100% safe if you use a wireless connection to access the internet.

As this forum is for benefits queries only, I am locking this thread to prevent it developing into a discussion.

If you have any concerns about what I've stated, you should contact your Internet Service Provider. Also, I'd advise you read How to Secure Your Home Network this in an extract from the link above :

Computers running on the Windows operating system are more at risk of security invasions than Mac computers. That's to be expected -- the Windows operating system dominates the computer market. That means the Windows platform is a big target for people who want to exploit computers -- they've got a much larger target and potential payoff.

Other devices that can comprise a home network include routers, firewalls, cable or DSL modems, printers, video game consoles, smartphones and voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) phones. Depending upon the protocols you use, you may have even more devices linked to your network. For example, Bluetooth gadgets can sync with each other when they come within range of the network.

From a security standpoint, the pieces of hardware that will help provide security are firewalls and routers. Firewalls come in two varieties: hardware and software. You can purchase a physical firewall device or run a firewall application. Many routers have firewall software built into them.
Firewalls act like filters. They help you monitor data traffic between your network and the Internet. If you detect unusual traffic, that's a potential sign that someone has compromised your home network's security. Most firewalls have several security settings to choose from. The most restrictive settings are generally the safest, but they also limit your options. Most firewalls will allow you to create a list of Web addresses that are off limits.

If you use a wireless router, you should make sure you set a password and enable encryption. Unprotected wireless networks are a bad idea. Most routers have either Wireless Encryption (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) encryption options. Some have both. WPA is more secure than WEP. Enabling encryption and choosing a strong router administrator password are two steps that will help keep your network secure.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added information after forum locked
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrissy v
The topic has been locked.
  • Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #121207 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Using your computer on a wireless network.
Moved to top.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.