× Members

Maladministration-Concillitory payments.

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #121360 by James
Thanks for the help and support with my new situation of not receiving any ESA for 2 months.I wont go through it again.
Oh I did look at the link to maladministration reccommended by Bro.
It looks complicated like an appeals process requiring a lot of as ever form filling and burdensome addiutional information and hoops with amounts low £50-£500 at first glance with necessity of proving/detailing hardship etc.
Typically much of the wording is vague precepts and it all seems to be a the whim of the subjective DWP bosses.
Cant say Im exactly eager to apply,Id rather have the owed WRAG back money.
Has anyone successfully obtained any of the numerous types of payments under this?
What were their experiences?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #121364 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Maladministration-Concillitory payments.
I had a client who was offered by the DWP (they did not apply) £200 compensation. This was after waiting 18 months for payments to be made for help with housing costs under IS. This amount in no way reflected the stress they had been through. I think it was more a sign the DWP realised how badly they had cocked up, especially as they offered it without prompting. The compensation is minimal and I believe it is usually only awarded if they've done something pretty shocking. However it is a nice feeling as you will very rarely get the DWP to admit they are wrong.

More
9 years 11 months ago #121687 by Ma99ieM
Replied by Ma99ieM on topic Maladministration-Concillitory payments.
I am unfortunately an expert on DWP maladministration. I was an Executive Officer in the Civil Service (in another Department) before I retired, and I realised that my son had been treated unfairly in that he had not been given correct information on a WP form and consequently had missed applying for a benefit at the first date that he would have qualified for it. It took me over a year to argue that maladministration had taken place, but I did it all by letter not filling in forms. I was successful in the end and got over £5000 as the difference between income support he had been paid and the benefit that he should have qualified for, and an on going extra statutory award equal to the benefit that he should have been receiving. We have also received a couple of £50 payments in recognition of delays when his extra statutory payments have stopped without warning or explanation and I have had to complain to get them reinstated. We did not have to ask for those, the local office referred the case to the relevant office themselves.

I have looked at your other posts and I have to say that I would start to complain, following the steps set out in bro58's post in your thread entitled “How to "Small Claim"vs DWP to obtain Monies Owed?”. It takes a bit of effort but is probably the only way that you will get satisfaction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James, Bryando

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #121693 by James
Replied by James on topic Maladministration-Concillitory payments.
Hi Maggie,Interesting to hear though my case differs slightly its just a payment hold up rather than miselling as in your sons'.
Incidentally I too was at one time the perennial "Executive Officer"ironically in The DHSS!
I am reluctant to get drawn into a full on Legal Action against The DWP yet because it might become a "precedent case"making law or national headlines and a whole year of form filling sounds like a lot of hard work a full time job in itself at £5000 pa!It might even get into the newspapers if successful along the lines of "scrounger gets 5 grand for clerical error"!That I would not want naturally.Any other cases like mine would be helpful and their outcome first.
I have replied also to Bros help.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.