× Members

ESA/DLA-student

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #121415 by Bryando
ESA/DLA-student was created by Bryando
Hi,

Upon myself starting university can I still claim ESA support? My income will be £7500 student income, DLA middle and low and partner's Carer's Allowance in respect of myself.

Is it accurate that those whom are disabled like myself, can still get Housing Benefit as a full time student? I read this, but getting it confirmed as been like pulling teeth! A reduction of which will be the partner's Carer's Allowance

I also read I could still claim ESA as by the fact I am disabled, this would be allowed. However with £7500 from student funding (Scotland), DLA and my partner's Carer's Allowance. Would it even be worth running with the claim and what ever the DWP decide I need to jump through?

Also...

I get DLA for supervision/guidance during the day and mobility aspect for following route. I have made an application for the Disabled Student Allowance. But pondered how the DWP will view my full time course and claiming DLA? I hope to get transport up into university and back. Mentor alongside other support.

But I don't want to find myself in the stress pit of the DWP claiming I am without needs by the mere fact I attend university.

Thanks.

Ps. Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the sooner I have answers the less that circulates my head. Thoughts are always racing, normal....
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #121417 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/DLA-student
Charlie

At the risk of being seen as dodging the questions I am going to recommend that you get face to face advice, there should be a student advisor with experience of benefit claims, failing that do an internet search for "welfare advice" with you postcode, town or county.

Your DLA should give you an automatic status of Limited Capability for Work, so in principle you can claim ESA, however, on the assumption that you have no NI Contribution history through working or perhaps insufficient NICs, you will only be able to claim Income Related ESA which deduct any income, your student income and the Carers Allowance from the ESA(IR) £ for £.

You will get the couples allowance and the Carers Premium, but a rough calculation suggests that the payment of ESA(IR) could be marginal and may depend on which group you are actually placed in. A trained advisor can go through the figures with you so you fully understand what is available.

Housing benefit uses substantially the same figures as ESA(IR).

Of course, if you do qualify for Contribution Based ESA the situation for ESA will be very different but not for Housing Benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bryando

More
9 years 11 months ago #121418 by Bryando
Replied by Bryando on topic ESA/DLA-student
Thanks

My partner is also awaiting a PIP outcome forgot to add.

Think I will just close the ESA claim. As saves me stress, the less the better. Uni is either going to aid me or break me.

I did read the housing benefit can be paid for a full time student whom is disabled. They don't in my authority include DLA as income, but do Carer's Allowance. So it might be a case of deciding if cancelling the Carer's Allowance claim would be of more benefit..

Thanks

More
9 years 11 months ago #121419 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/DLA-student
Charlie

I would expect HB to also take account of your student income, so you may have the same problem, as an alternative to ESA, your partner can claim Income Support as a Carer, however, the income rules are again the same.

You really need to speak to advisor who can work out the figures for you, you only need to have a payment of 10p/week to qualify and if nothing else you both will be entitled to free prescriptions and dental care.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 11 months ago #121420 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic ESA/DLA-student
Just to add if your are studying full time, on DLA and in the WRAG you do not have to attend WFIs.

More
9 years 11 months ago #121421 by Bryando
Replied by Bryando on topic ESA/DLA-student
We get free prescriptions in Scotland and ental care I believe.

Can't understand why they would say disabled folk can claim HB, yet the £7500 income from funding will be taken into account.

Is there not a disabled premium for HB?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.