× Members

ESA query...going from contributions to IR

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #121973 by ljboath
I'm at my wits end with all this ESA stuff. I was put in the WRAG in May last year...I walked with my stick into the office because I was afraid to rock the boat and not go and had no other means of getting there and missed out on the support group. I asked about an appeal but was constantly told they were just as likely to change their decision. So was too scared to do it.

At a WRAG meeting I was asked to start looking for work via computer but that I wasn't really looking for work. I explained that I had just been started on medication which was leaving me a little brainfogged and was told I should have informed the ESA people of the changes in my health and should ask for a supersession. I couldn't find much about supersessions so I waited until my renewal documents arrived and explained everything in the document (and stupidly didn't take a copy).

Today I got a letter saying I'd have still received the same benefit regardless of the changes and that I wouldn't be getting any MORE income related benefit. As I've never received ESA income related I called them. I was told because I share my house with a friend...a male with no family tie or relationship other than being a bloody good friend...I will now have to wait for *compliance* to visit me to assess my relationship. I asked how long this would all take and was basically told how long is a piece of string. I also asked why it mattered that we share the house...I have always made them aware of this fact and the arrangement we have and they have never questioned this before. I was given a number for my local crisis centre should I wish to apply for a money, so I take it I'm in for a long wait.

I'd like to know where I go from here? What should I be doing? I have no problem with them visiting my home...I have nothing to hide. But I do feel like this is now the push to try and get me off ESA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lx
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #121977 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA query...going from contributions to IR
Hi Badlass and welcome to the forum. ON the assumption that you are also new to the site, this FAQ should help you find your way around

Welcome to Benefits and Work

As you have had 365 days in the WRAG you are no longer entitled to contributory ESA, payment will only continue if you meet the income/asset/savings criteria for income-related benefit. While you were on ESA (C) it did not matter who you were living with, what your relationship or how much money you had in the bsnk. Now that you are looking at ESA (IR) DWP want to make sure that you are not ina relationship with the person with whom you are sharing a house. Anything you can show that proves you are just sharing accommodation will be helpful in sorting this out. I would expect you to be entitled to ESA (IR) if you live alone ( no live-in partner) and have no other income. However, if you were not entitled to ESA (IB) then payment would only restart if you were allocated to the Support Group at any stage in the future (as long as your claim remains continuous).

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

The only thing I can suggest to help speed up this process is to contact your MP and ask for help.

Contacting your MP

Meanwhile, you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, and then appeal, if you believe that you should be in the Support Group.

Qualifying for the Support Group

If you have further questions please reply to this post and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark it, make it a favourite, on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.