× Members

ESA assessment rate query

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122000 by Pedropete
ESA assessment rate query was created by Pedropete
Hi,

My sister was on ESA WRAG benefit until she had an ESA medical and was found fit for work. She appealed and had to wait until the mandatory consideration took place so in the meantime claimed jobseekers allowance as she had no money.

The mandatory decision was unchanged and they forwarded the appeal to a tribunal. The tribunal acknowledged they had received the appeal and also forwarded the papers to the DWP. She then assumed she would be able to claim ESA Assesment rate benefit rather than continue on jobseekers allowance while she waited for her tribunal date and she got the local advice shop to fax the sicknotes that she had.

I then phoned on her behalf the DWP to confirm they had received these and could she now be put on the ESA assessment rate rather than jobseekers allowance. The guy said yes they had received them but she couldn't go onto the assessment rate and had to remain on jobseekers allowance. I was rather surprised and questioned if this was right but he insisted it was.

Is he right in what he says and have I got it wrong?
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122002 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA assessment rate query
Pedropete

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it is not worth claimants ringing the ESA Help line as they are incapable of providing the correct information.

That said, the DWP does seem to have a general problem with the re-instatement of ESA when an appeal is lodged.

Your sister is entitled to be paid the ESA Assessment rate once her appeal has been accepted by the Tribunal Service and the papers have been sent to the DWP, however, it does appear that the claimant has to contact the DWP to request to be switched back to ESA from JSA, the rest of the process should be automatic.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any DWP guidance in regard this process, so there is nothing that you can quote at them, but she is definitely entitled to move back over.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #122005 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA assessment rate query
Hi Pp,

There is some Decision Maker Guidance on this, see this extract :

"Example 1.

An ESA claimant attends a WCA and the DM subsequently determines that they do not have LCW. The award is superseded so as to end entitlement to ESA. The claimant disputes the decision and asks for a reconsideration.

No pending appeal award of ESA can be made and they make a claim to JSA. JSA is awarded to the claimant. The DM decides that the decision cannot be revised and informs the claimant. The claimant lodges an appeal with HMCTS and submits medical evidence.

They ask for ESA to be re-awarded. The award of JSA is terminated by means of a supersession and a pending appeal award of ESA is made without the need for a claim. ESA is awarded from the day after the JSA award ends."

This document : (Memo DMG 20/13. MANDATORY RECONSIDERATION PRIOR TO APPEAL AND DIRECT LODGEMENT OF APPEALS WITH HMCTS)

It would seem that the JSA claim should be closed, which should then trigger the payment of ESA Assessment Rate.

However, there does seem to be much misinformation from the DWP regarding this, in that they are stating that a fresh ESA claim must be made when closing The JSA claim.

A similar scenario is being discussed on rightsnet :

www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/6444/

N.B. Update : See : This Topic and the links to other posts therein regarding 30/03/15 changes to ESA Regs pertaining to Repeat ESA Claims and appealing a second successive fit for work decision.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122008 by Pedropete
Replied by Pedropete on topic ESA assessment rate query
Thanks Gordon, you've put my mind at rest.

One more question if you have the time, if I phone again and they still refuse, is there any other avenue to get her switched back? And would they be more likely to take the situation more seriously if someone from Citizens Advice/Advice shop made the call?

It seems crazy that something she is entitled to is at the mercy of someone who either doesn't know the rules or doesn't want to help.

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122010 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA assessment rate query

Pedropete wrote: Thanks Gordon, you've put my mind at rest.

One more question if you have the time, if I phone again and they still refuse, is there any other avenue to get her switched back? And would they be more likely to take the situation more seriously if someone from Citizens Advice/Advice shop made the call?

It seems crazy that something she is entitled to is at the mercy of someone who either doesn't know the rules or doesn't want to help.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Pp,

See my post before your last one :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...=10&id=101427#122005

So the scenario that you are querying is covered at "Example 1. of Memo DMG 20/13. MANDATORY RECONSIDERATION PRIOR TO APPEAL AND DIRECT LODGEMENT OF APPEALS WITH HMCTS.

To clarify the extract that I have given :

"and the DM subsequently determines that they do not have LCW." = The DM finds them "fit for work".

"and submits medical evidence." = obtains a fit note from the G.P.

You could contact CAB or the like, if you cite the above to The DWP and they still insist that ESA Assessment Rate cannot be paid.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122015 by Pedropete
Replied by Pedropete on topic ESA assessment rate query
Thanks bro58. I'll give them a call and use the information you provided. Hopefully they'll see sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.