× Members

Advice re medical retirement

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122149 by Bobbi
Advice re medical retirement was created by Bobbi
Hi
Hopefully someone can give me some advice.
I am about to get medically retired from the NHS. I have 12 years superannuation. I am over 55 so I know that I can draw my pension albeit with an acturial reduction. If I am fortunate enough to get the nhs pensions service to agree that I am not fit to work that will help immensely.

I have a sick note which currently has another month to go and my GP will give me another probably for 3 months. She is adament that I'm not fir to work due to severe neuropathic pain and medication side effects. She has already told my employer that. Should I get terminated in6 weeks I have no clue what I should do next. Hr will advise re pension but I have no clue what to do re benefits. I have never claimed anything before. My husband has been advised by his neurologist that due to his line of work he shouldn't be working so that is an added complication.

What do I do with my sick note if 2,weeks into the time I am signed off my employer terminates my employment, will they then send the note to the DWP.
Do I need to contact the DWP, and will I be due any benefits, I assume my pension and savings will exclude this.
I have applied for PIP but I have been told this will take months.

I am really scared as both hubby and I have worked all our lives. We have around 20k savings but this will need to do us until we get to retirement age, hubby in 6 years and me in 10

Can anyone please advise me as everything is daunting and frightening.

Many thanks

Ari
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #122152 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Advice re medical retirement
Ariadne

Welcome to the forum.

You options will depend on whether you are still being paid by your employer and in particular if you have been paid Statutory Sick Pay.

If you are still receiving pay and have not received any SSP then you will still be considered in remunerative work and you will have to wait before you can make a claim for any benefits.

If you have completed a period of SSP then your employer then you should be able to make a claim for ESA, you should have received a form from your employer confirming they have paid SSP.

As you appear to have been working for some years you should be eligible for Contribution Based ESA. Although ESA(CB) is not means test, it will take into account any pension that you receive, there is an £85/w disregard followed by a £1/w deduction for every £2/w of pension.

To be eligible for ESA, you will also need to be considered as unable to work, I am afraid that ESA has it's own tests for this purpose, even if your employer decides you are no longer fit for work, this will not count for ESA.

You can make a claim for ESA over the phone or by downloading the ESA1 form from the GovUK site. The claim process is explained in more detail in our Understanding ESA guide and the capability tests are covered in our ESA Claim guides, all are available on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

If you make a claim for ESA then you will also need to send and maintain a Fit Note to the DWP until a Decision is made on your claim, while this is happening you will receive the ESA Assessment rate, I have to warn you that there are considerable delays in the ESA system so you may have to wait a long time before you receive a Decision.

I hope this has answered your immediate questions, but if you have more or need anything clarifying, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobbi

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122153 by Bobbi
Replied by Bobbi on topic Advice re medical retirement
Thank you so much Gordon

I have been in receipt go my normal salary and I'm coming to the end of full pay next month and will go onto half pay. I have been advised to resign to have a termination date for the pensions people and I will have a final meeting with the occ health consultant in the next 2 weeks when he will fill in the pension forms to state I am and will be unfair for work for the foreseeable future.

I don't think I have been getting SSP but I will need to check on that. I am a bit concerned on what to do regarding the fit note that will overlap my paid employment and after I have resigned.

Sorry I am being so dense, this is all new to me as I have worked for the past 40 years.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122154 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Advice re medical retirement
Ariadne

I obviously don't know the full circumstances surrounding your health issues, but I strongly recommend that you get advice before resigning, either from a local union representative or from a trained welfare advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town, or county.

The only potential problem with your Fit Note is that you will need a "top" copy for the DWP and you will likely already have given this to your employer, you GP should be able to issue a new one.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobbi

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris