× Members

Moving off ESA into work - advice, support, help?

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122279 by Duck
Hello all,

Hooray! I have been offered a job I can do (from home, 20 very flexible hours a week) which means that I will earn enough to come off ESA. I have been mostly out of paid work since 2008.

Currently I get: ESA (support), DLA (high care), Housing Benefit, and my fiance who lives with me gets Carer's Allowance.

In my new job I will earn about £200/week. I will also carry on doing occasional bits of other work which total about £300/month. My fiance is looking for work too, though he hasn't found a job yet - but his earnings are likely to be around £200/week when he does start work.

Who should I tell that I am starting work, and when should I tell them? I have a written offer, but am waiting for Occupational Health paperwork (been told verbally that Occ Health are happy with me, but there is a lot of paperwork).

What help & benefits can I get around starting and keeping a new job? There seem to be a lot of upfront costs, like paying for my prescriptions, smart clothes for meetings etc, before my first pay arrives :(

How do I apply for Access to Work (for mental illness & dyspraxia)? Is there anything else I should know about which supports disabled people in work?

What benefits will I still get, what will I lose? I know I definitely lose ESA, I will probably be reassessed for DLA, will I still get Housing Benefit and can my fiance still get Carer's Allowance?

To make things extra complicated, I live and will carry on living in England, but my employer is in Scotland & part of the NHS.

I am excited about this but also very nervous. Any advice welcomed! Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122302 by Gordon
Duck

I'm pleased to hear that you have this opportunity but think very carefully before going ahead. There is a 12 week period where if it is too much for you then you can make a rapid re-claim of ESA, but once you go past that, you will have to make a new claim for ESA for which you will have to qualify for afresh which may cause problems depending on your NI Contribution history.

You need to inform the DWP when you will be starting this job and that they should close your ESA claim from that date. Write to the DWP office that administers your claim, their address should be on any of the correspondence that your have received about your ESA.

There is no legal requirement for to inform the DWP in regard your DLA, but if your doing this work is at odds with the reasons you are receiving DLA, then it might count against you if you have not informed them.

Whilst you continue to receive DLA Care at the Medium or Higher rate your fiancé remains entitled to claim Carers Allowance for your.

You will need to contact your Local Authority about your Housing Benefit, whether you still qualify will depend on your income, which of course will no longer be classified as Permitted Work.

Access for Work information is available on the following link.

Access to Work.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by bro58. Reason: Added Access to Work link.

• bro58
9 years 11 months ago #122303 by bro58
Good Luck, in whatever you choose to do Duck !!!!! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.