× Members

Turning 16

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122285 by booboo10
Turning 16 was created by booboo10
My son is turning 16 and we are getting a visit from DWP as I have told them he is not capable of looking after his own finances. I have told him he has nothing to hide, but he wont stop worrying about it (-he is not very good with strangers.) In fact I am more angry that he has got to miss a day off school for this.
Could anyone pass on any advice for him- what sort of questions he may be asked ect, just to put his mind at rest.

Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #122286 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Turning 16
Hi Bella and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this FAQ should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

DWP are under an obligation to ensure that they are acting in your son's best interest by allowing you to deal with them on his behalf. I have no personal experience of these visits but have been told that they are usually relaxed and low-key. Maybe other members will be able to put your mind at rest.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: booboo10

• Carrera74
9 years 11 months ago #122312 by Carrera74
Replied by Carrera74 on topic Turning 16
My son got quite worked up about this too. The DWP chap that came out was really nice and he just wanted to make sure that we had my son’s best interests at heart. To be honest, he mainly spoke to me really as he could see that my son was struggling as he was sat next to me and making no eye contact at all. I don’t really remember him asking too many questions either. Just advised what it would mean for me to be the appointee and that it was my role to let the DWP know of any changes etc. He also told me of other benefits my son could be entitled to now that he was 16.

Try not to worry and let your son know my son was fine and he worried for nothing.

Our visit was on a day towards the end of term so he didn't miss any school. Can you not change the appointment for an early appointment so he can go to school straight after and to get it out of the way so he's not worrying about it all day? :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.