× Members

ESA

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #122288 by JOANMCVEIGH
ESA was created by JOANMCVEIGH
Hi I receive DLA high rate mobility and middle rate care. I currently work but due to my medical conditions I feel that I just can't continue to do so. I need an income and would hope to apply for ESA but do not know how to go about it.

1. Can I leave work and then send sick lines dated from the first Monday of unemployment or

2. Do I have to be paid off by my employer to be able to qualify?

Can anyone help as I have never been unemployed (I know I am very lucky in this regard) but really don't know the first thing about how to go about claiming this.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #122296 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA
Hi Holly, you can claim ESA as long as you are not receiving Statutory Sick Pay from your employer, whether or not you are still technically employed. You will need a sick note from your GP to support your claim. The intial contact can be made by phone, or you can send in a form, that will get the process started and initiate the payment of the assessment rate. At some stage you will receive an ESA50 form that will require you to give details of your limitations and you might be required to have a face2face assessment. The whole process is very backlogged and many claimants are waiting many months for an assessment/decision.

This link tells you what you need to initiate a claim

www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

and our ESA guides will help with the rest of the process

ESA claims and appeals

ESA FAQs

If/when you have further questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOANMCVEIGH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.