× Members

ESA deadline problem

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122328 by Fiona
ESA deadline problem was created by Fiona
Hi all
Managed to get myself in a bit of a pickle and would like to ask some advice. Sorry it's a long post!

Having applied over the phone for ESA I was sent the ESA50 in due course to fill out. The deadline date was quite close to an appointment with the neurologist when I was expecting to be given a diagnosis and further treatment plan including referrals. Unfortunately I didn't get any of them on the day but was told a written report would follow shortly. I telephoned the DWP to inform them of this and was told to hold off sending the form until I received the report. I expressed concern that I would miss the date, but was told to write in the 'Reasons you are late' box that I was waiting for diagnosis and medical reports etc.This I did, also mentioning that I had queried what to do.

Unfortunately the report took over 3 weeks to come through, so I missed the deadline. Obviously I now realise I should have not delayed sending, but as I didn't have a diagnosis etc thought I didn't have any option. Suffice to say I have now received a letter from the DWP informing me that my claim has been refused because it wasn't returned in time. I rang the DWP explaining the situation and was told that 'someone will look at your form and you should hear from us in 2 weeks'.

Basically, I'm wondering what I should do now. Should I wait the 2 weeks and contact the DWP when I've not heard anything; should I ask for a mandatory reassessment/appeal or should I make a completely new claim? The guidance on the letter from them is not very clear. The money from my last payment won't last forever and I'm concerned that I'll run out before I hear back. I suppose one option is to apply for JSA, but surely by doing that I'm declaring myself fit for work and therefore not in need of ESA?

I've been very fortunate not to have had any serious illnesses in life - apart from the last 3 months or so - so am way out of my comfort zone. Not only that, the whole benefits world is new to me and I think I need all the help I can get!!

Many thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122334 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA deadline problem
WL

Has the ESA50 been returned albeit late?

If it has then the Decision Maker should allow the process to continue.

Until they decide what they are going to do you are in a bit of hiatus. At the moment your claim has been closed due to a technical failure, so whilst you can make a new claim for ESA immediately, you are not entitled to payment until six months have elapsed or you attend an face to face assessment.

You can apply for JSA, but it is likely to take a couple of weeks before you start receiving payments and if they re-activate your ESA claim you will have to close it down again, plus you will be required to agree to a job search agreement.

I am afraid only you can make the decision whether to wait or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fiona

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122337 by Fiona
Replied by Fiona on topic ESA deadline problem
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes it has been returned, by the time it reached them it was probably a good couple of weeks late.

Doesn't sound like a good idea either to make a new claim or apply for JSA, so the least worst option is to hang on in there. I've already received the P45 from them (the day after I received notification of refusal!), so I'm presuming I'll need to send it back at some point.

I'm still not sure whether I should chase it up or not. The last thing I want to do is antagonise them and for my claim to 'accidently' get lost or go to the bottom of the pile. I'll put my thinking cap on and make a decision on that in the next few days.

Thanks again.

WL
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122338 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA deadline problem
WL

I wouldn't be afraid to chase them, the people you speak to on the phone have no authority to affect your claim.

If you have received a P45, then I would be tempted to cover the bases and request an MR now in writing, if they re-activate the claim it will just be ignored and if they don't, then it is already with them.

Have a look at the ESA MR and Appeal guide for details of the process.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

It is worth mentioning, whenever you talk to the DWP about this matter that it was on the advice of their staff that you delayed the return of the form.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago #122340 by Fiona
Thanks for the advice Gordon - I'm not nearly as confused by it all as I was a couple of hours ago!

More
9 years 10 months ago #122636 by Fiona
Dear all

Just thought I'd give a quick update on this one. Had a letter from the DWP on Thursday saying that 'having received a completed questionnaire and looked at the reasons for the late return', they have reactivated my ESA. It is to begin on the day after they closed my last claim, so I haven't lost any money. Friday would have been the two weeks they said it would take to make a decision. Must admit to being surprised they kept within their two weeks - I'm not sure how often that happens! I'm also very pleased not to have to go through the stress of the mandatory reconsideration.

Obviously I still have to go through the face to face with ATOS along with the other 700,000 people waiting (whenever that will be) and I expect I'll be put in the WRAG, but just really wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Your advice and site got me through a worrying time.

Thanks again!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.