× Members

dla claim

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122369 by michellec
dla claim was created by michellec
Hi Partner is about to submit a dla claim for change of circumstances. He has no legs due to accident several years ago, he was awarded higher rate mobility and low rate personal care. It is the personal care bit he wants to submit again. when he made his first claim he was very new to this, he had two prosethic legs and very much focused on what he could do when filling out the forms and basically was a very proud man and didn't want to admit to needing helping bathing etc. He now has only one prosetic leg due to too much nerve pain in the other leg. He has been like this for the past 2 years but didn't realise he could make another claim. Also his marriage broke up and he didn't want to admit to people he was not managing. On the form it asks how long has your circimstances changed , do I put 2 years, I know it wont be back dated and also do you think he has a claim for higher rate personal care. He goes to work still, he is in a wheelchair full time, he can only wear his leg for 8 hours a day before it becomes uncomfortable, so when he is at home he doesn't wear any.
sorry for the long winded post.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122398 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic dla claim
You could put two years with a brief note as to why he has not claimed earlier, such as, he did not realise it would affect his claim.

You will want to be very sure you can demonstrate his entitlement to low rate care a.k.a that he cannot prepare a cooked meal unaided.

There is no onus to send medical evidence at this stage but you may wish to do so if you have any supportive letters.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122401 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic dla claim
michelle

The first thing you need to check is whether you live in an active PIP postcode, if you do then a Change of Circumstances will result in an invitation to claim PIP rather than new forms for DLA. See

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

Whether it is PIP or DLA, you need to be aware that any aids of appliances that can be reasonably used will be taken into in making a Decision, you need to consider how these may effect his care needs and either show that their use is unreasonable or that he has taken account of these when completing the forms.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122402 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic dla claim
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122408 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic dla claim
I got the impression from Michelle's post that they had already received the 'Looking again at your claim' form:

"On the form it asks how long has your circimstances changed , do I put 2 years, I know it wont be back dated and also do you think he has a claim for higher rate personal care."

That being the case they do not need to worry about PIP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58, Gordon

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.