× Members

Had a letter that I don't understand

• Scaredycat
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122414 by Scaredycat
Had a letter that I don't understand was created by Scaredycat
Hi, I am totally confused. I appealed against the decision to put me in the work activity group (not sure what it was called but it was not the support group) as we believed I should be in the support group. I thought that we’d be sent a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice once they’d looked at our appeal. I have not had one of these. We appealed about 3 months ago.

Today I got a letter from DWP outlining the amount of money I get is changing and it states the following on the breakdown

Your Living expenses
Limited capability for work addition
Extra money because you are in the Support Group
Which gives a total income-related amount

Income and Benefits
No income will be taken off your Employment and Support Allowance

Your income-related amount is £XX less £0.00 so you would have been entitled to

However because you are entitled to contribution based Employment and Support Allowance we will pay you

Top Up payment

Included in your Employment and Support Allowance entitlement is a to-up payment which ensures you won’t see a reduction in the level of your benefit entitlement as a result of the change to Employment and support Allowance

The amounts on this page apply from 27 March 2014 to 9 April 2014
Yours sincerely

This letter also gives me the option to appeal against the decision and it says I only have one month to do this.
Does this mean I am now in the Support Group but only till April 2014, ie a date that has past? The front page says I will get £108.15 per week from April 2014 which seems to be the Support Group amount. But I’ve not had a letter confirming this or is this the letter telling me, in which case its not said how long I am in the Support Group
Should I get a letter confirming I am in the SG (the letter I have had seems to suggest this is the case)? Sorry to sound so odd but I am totally confused as to which Group I am in – was my appeal successful or not?

Thanks for your time
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122415 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Had a letter that I don't understand
Scaredycat

It sounds as if they have moved you to the SG but you will need to phone the DWP for confirmation.

Were you previously on IB? If you were, when were you transferred to ESA?

I suspect that this is one of a number of letters involved with a potential change of the original Decision.

I believe the dates on the letter correspond to the date of the annual increase in benefit dates, I would expect further letters relating to the period prior to 27 March (assuming that you were receiving ESA before this date), and for 10 April to today, there should also be a Decision letter notifying you of the change.

I am afraid that the correspondence from the DWP is often confusing and difficult to decipher, hence the suggestion you give them a call. Let us know how you get on as there may be additional payments due to you if you are in the SG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scaredycat

• Scaredycat
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago #122416 by Scaredycat
Replied by Scaredycat on topic Had a letter that I don't understand
I have been on Incapacity Benefit for 12 years

I was put in the work group but we appealed

This is the only letter since we asked for the reconsideration (the 1st part of the appeal process)

I will get my husband to call them tomorrow

Is it ok to ask if I am in the support group and for how long?

More
9 years 10 months ago #122417 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Had a letter that I don't understand

Scaredycat wrote: I have been on Incapacity Benefit for 12 years

I was put in the work group but we appealed

This is the only letter since we asked for the reconsideration (the 1st part of the appeal process)

I will get my husband to call them tomorrow

Is it ok to ask if I am in the support group and for how long?

Yes it's fine to ask, that is what the ESA Call Centre is for :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scaredycat

• Scaredycat
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago #122418 by Scaredycat
sorry, didn't answer the question, I moved over in March from IB to the new benefit

• Scaredycat
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago #122419 by Scaredycat
thank you

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.