× Members

ESA50 and ability to read

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122522 by winterchild
ESA50 and ability to read was created by winterchild
ESA50 Question 7 asks whether one can understand a simple message by reading large size print. This is in the Physical functions section of the form, and implies they are examining the ability to see print well enough to read, is that correct?

But what of someone who can't read, period. This due to learning disability which was secondary to brain damage at birth, but doesn't have impaired vision. I thought I'd found a question with a good fit on this point in question 7 but now doubt it. In fact, I'm having trouble identifying a Question which will point up this rather basic deficit on behalf of the person I represent.

Sorry if this topic question is too specific.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122525 by
Replied by on topic ESA50 and ability to read

winterchild wrote: ESA50 Question 7 asks whether one can understand a simple message by reading large size print. This is in the Physical functions section of the form, and implies they are examining the ability to see print well enough to read, is that correct?

But what of someone who can't read, period. This due to learning disability which was secondary to brain damage at birth, but doesn't have impaired vision. I thought I'd found a question with a good fit on this point in question 7 but now doubt it. In fact, I'm having trouble identifying a Question which will point up this rather basic deficit on behalf of the person I represent.

Sorry if this topic question is too specific.

Hi wc,

You are correct in that question 7 is with regards to sensory impairment and other people communicating with you.

Therefore, even though a person may not be visually impaired, or have hearing problems, I would still give full details regarding not being able to read at all due to secondary brain damage.

Question 7 does come under "Physical Activities" and it is said that one can only gain points through the "Physical" assessment part of the ESA50 if the limitations are caused as a result of "Physical" medical conditions, and vice-versa with limitations caused by "Mental" health conditions.

However, I would still note down all limitations suffered, in any section of the ESA50 where it may be appropriate to do so.

If you fail to note down ALL limitations suffered, then they cannot possibly be taken into account by ATOS or The DWP DM.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #122535 by winterchild
Replied by winterchild on topic ESA50 and ability to read
Ok, I'll do that, then. Thanks very much.
wc.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.