× Members

esa dla amount and change to amount single2couple

More
9 years 10 months ago #122594 by lee-d
Hello, im wondering if anyone can help me please- at the moment im on esa support group i have borderline personality disorder and im marked as significant with this, i also have paranoid personality disorder and genralised anxiety and pyscosis, so they put me in the suport group,

and in that i get
living exspense 71.70
xtra money because of the disability incombe garantee 21.76
etra money in suport group 34.80
total 128.25

and i lately started getting dla for the first time im in high care, low mobility about 400 a month

and i am married to a lovely caring fillipino girl who gave up work to help me when i went through a very bad time ,, but she couldnt claim any carers allowance for me because she was only on a spouse visa and as such has no access to public funds or benafits,
so we have only ever had single person benafit amounts,but in 5 months she will get her indefinate leave to remain and i belive then we will be able to have or apply for a couple claim and maybe care allowance or something,as she should i think have acess to benafits

please could someone tell me if i have been getting the right premiums on my esa now, and also what effects and changes to my benafit will happen when she has leave to remain in 5 months, and how that will effect my money or how i should claim for us, thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122599 by Gordon
Lee

I'm going to recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained Welfare advisor, we don't advise on benefit entitlement for non-residents so I am not up to speed with the rules in this area, but just because your wife is not entitled to benefits in her own right does may not mean that she should not already be on your ESA claim.

Ignoring the above, based on your scenario, you would be entitled to the couples rate of ESA(IR), she can claim Carers Allowance which would be paid to her but deducted from your ESA(IR) as income leaving no net change, but you would also receive the Carers Premium, your other amounts would remain the same.

As an aside, you are already receiving the couples rate for the Disability Income Guarantee (aka Enhanced Disability Premium), which appears to be at odds with her not being included in your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.