× Members

PIP Mobility Descriptor Query

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122608 by Augustus
PIP Mobility Descriptor Query was created by Augustus
Good Afternoon

I have a query about the "Moving Around" descriptor and how ATOS/DWP apply the definition of "moving".

For the descriptor to apply to a claimant, would it mean that one can only move xx distance, and then stop and do no more? So effectively for going out, it would mean that you could not?

In other words, what does ATOS/DWP assume one does after the stated distance you put on the form?

In my case, I can only walk slowely for 50m or less at one time, then pause for several minutes, then go a bit more. But this is not to the extent of doing this repeatedly over 4 or 5 times or whatever.

Do you think they would accept the descriptor in my case, or would I most likely have to argue this on appeal?

If there is a link to where PIP descriptors are covered in more detail as DWP/ATOS use them, please could you let me know.

Thank you for your time.

A
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122610 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mobility Descriptor Query
Augustus

All of the PIP Descriptors must be performed "reliably", this means that you must be able to do it

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

So you should document your problems with walking on the form as fully as you can.

The Going Out Descriptor and the use of reliably is covered in more detail in our PIP Claim guide and the DWP PIP Assessment guide, both on the following link;

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122617 by oldman
Replied by oldman on topic PIP Mobility Descriptor Query
I was asked this questioned and answered as you did. They then said could I go further with a walking stick or wheelchair, if you answer yes you get zero points. I have osteoarthitis in both hands so cannot grip thus I passed that inspection.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122620 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mobility Descriptor Query

oldman wrote: I was asked this questioned and answered as you did. They then said could I go further with a walking stick or wheelchair, if you answer yes you get zero points. I have osteoarthitis in both hands so cannot grip thus I passed that inspection.

The DWP are entitled to consider the use of aids and appliances such as stick, where the usage would be reasonable.

The PIP test is for walking so the consideration of a wheelchair would not be reasonable, if this has been included by either the assessor or the Decision Maker then you would have good reason to challenge the zero points you received.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.