× Members

DWP definition of "Aides"?

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122775 by Rob
DWP definition of "Aides"? was created by Rob
Hi Everyone,
First post and yes, I too have received the dreaded Letter, Phone Call and now the forms.
My first question may seem silly to some, but we are wondering what the DWP regard as aides when referring to mobilisation? Much mention of Sticks or Wheelchairs, but I am a Bilateral Below Knee amputee and wonder whether my prosthetic legs would be regarded as "aides" as without them I am completely stuck.

Again, apologies for starting out with such a seemingly silly question, but I am concerned and want to get this right before committing pen to paper.

Many Thanks
Rob
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122776 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP definition of "Aides"?
RB

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

ESA does not define what an "aid" is or is not, other benefits do, so you need to take a common sense approach to what is included, on this basis I think that both the ATOS Assessor and the DWP Decision Maker will consider your ability to walk while you are wearing your prosthetics.

If you have problems with using them that limit the time or distance that you can walk then you should include this in your answer to the questions, for example chaffing or pain in your stump, also if you need assistance with wearing them, perhaps the help of another person to attach them and that assistance is not normally available then this should be mentioned as well.

Finally, for all of the ESA Descriptors you should consider your ability within the limitations of safety, repeatability and reliability all within the context of how you are for the majority of the time. The Mobility Descriptor, in addition to considering significant discomfort looks at significant breathlessness.

See the ESA Claim guides for more details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

• bro58
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122777 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic DWP definition of "Aides"?
Hi, and welcome !!! :)

Just to add to Gordon's advice,

Here is the actual "Mobilising" Activity :

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

The WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Descriptors

If you score the maximum 15 points in the above, as this corresponds to Activity 1. :

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

Of :

The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

You would be placed into The Support Group.

Remember, even if you have never owned, used or been advised to use a wheelchair, you will still be assessed on whether you can self propel a manual wheelchair unaided for the requisite distance, if reasonable to do so.

It is not just a "Walking Test"

You may wish to read our "ESA Guides" on the page below :

ESA Claims Guides

Have you considered : Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.