× Members

Son has been refused PIP

• Miss E
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122810 by Miss E
Son has been refused PIP was created by Miss E
Hello,
My son was diagnosed with Crohns disease in 2006. he has been up and down with the condition since, but last year he became very ill.
After going around in circles for months, ie, Drs, tests, results, hospital, scans, procedures, results.
It was finally diagnosed that he had a fistula. His bowel was connected to his bladder, he had poo in his pee and pee in his poo. some days he couldn't get out of bed. He needed an operation.
He receives ESA and is in the support group, a friend suggested he should apply for PIP. Which he did in October. On March 24th he finally had an operation, the surgeon removed part of his bowel and he is now recovered from it.
He went to a medical assessment by CAPITA in May.
Today he heard back from the DWP that he is not entitled to PIP. The letter seems to go on about the assessment and how he is now and that his operation was a success.
Doesn't it matter that he was so ill he wanted to die at one point?
I feel awfully angry that he went through hell last year, and has now been turned down.
I know he can appeal, I just want some advice for him,
thanks in advance.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122811 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Son has been refused PIP
Hi and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this FAQ should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm sorry that your son has been so ill and hope that his surgery will, indeed, improve things for him. As far as PIP is concerned, I think he fell foul of several regulations -

Firstly the claimant must have had the care/mobility needs for the past 3 months and they must be expected to last for at least a further 9 months.

Seciondly, the assessor can look at only how the claimant is at the time of assessment, not how they were in the past or how they might be in the future.

Have a look at our PIP guides, if you believe your son can show that he did meet the descriptors at the time the assessment was done then he should ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, with a view to appealaing if this does not find in his favour.

PIP help for claimants

Mandatory reconsideration FAQs

Also, if your son believes that he still meets the PIP criteria he can reapply now.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark it, or make it a favourite, on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), Miss E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.