× Members

PIP application form deadline

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122829 by Dexy
PIP application form deadline was created by Dexy
Hello

I’m new to this community but already feeling much better for being part of it, and I am finding the PIP guides invaluable. You have a great site here, so thank you!

My DLA (which was awarded for two years) is due to run out at the end of October this year, and the dreaded brown envelope plopped on my doormat a few weeks back, saying I was being migrated to PIP, and that I must start my claim by 3rd July. This I did in plenty of time & I completed my telephone interview smoothly. The person I spoke to on the phone said that the application form would be in the post within the next two weeks, and that I would have to fill it in by one calendar month from the date they sent it. They also said that if there was a delay in receiving it, it would be fine to ring them immediately and apply for an extension, and she gave me the number to ring if I needed to do this. I took notes of this phone conversation and have the name of the person I spoke to.

The form arrived this morning 7 July, dated 26 June – a delay of 10 days – and has to be returned by 26 July. This does not give me much time (less than 3 weeks) to fill the form in and gather my evidence together etc. Having read so many horror stories in the press I am so paranoid about the whole thing that I just wanted to ask – do you think it will jeopardise my claim, or count against me, if I DO phone them and ask for an extension? Is this a reasonable request? - more to the point, will it be considered a reasonable request by DWP? This may be a silly question given what the person on the phone told me, but I just wanted to be certain. I need the adequate time to complete what is a very daunting form and get my evidence together. In effect, there’s less than 3 weeks to do it all.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ramekins
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122831 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP application form deadline
Alison

It is really important that your form is returned to the DWP within the deadline they have set so if you feel that you will have problems completing it within the timescale then you should definitely ask for an extension, doing so will not count against you.

Whether they do so is at the discretion of the DWP but I can see no reason why they would not, make sure that you get the extension in writing (you may need to ask for this). We have not had much feedback in this area, but requests for extensions of ESA forms have regularly been granted over the phone only to be denied when the form was returned late, so without the written confirmation our advice would be to stick to the original date.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dexy

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122834 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP application form deadline
comment deleted as inaccurate :blush:

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122835 by Gordon
Mod Comment

This message contains confidential information

The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122837 by Dexy
Replied by Dexy on topic PIP application form deadline
Thanks very much for your swift reply. Your advice is as I suspected and I think wise, so I will just have to do my best.

However, apart from having less time to complete the form, another problem is that my consultant is on holiday, so I am unable to get written supporting evidence from him in time to send it in with the form. This could be the case for a couple of others I'm hoping to get supporting evidence from as well. It's the holiday period! Is it OK to send these on separately afterwards, and what's the safest and most reliable way of making sure this ends up with the right person or department?

I was thinking of writing to them anyway to request the information, noting in the letter that they are currently away, and requesting that they reply when they are back so that I can forward the information to the DWP. I could maybe enclose these letters in with the PIP application form, so that the DWP at least know why I can't get supporting evidence immediately & that it will arrive in due course.

Thanking you in advance for your help
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122839 by Gordon
Alsion

You are entitled to continue to supply medical evidence and information in regard to your PIP claim up to and including the date of any assessment, with many claimants waiting six months for a PIP assessment there is every possibility that their conditions may have changed in the interim.

If you do send your Consultants letter then depending on whether your file has be forwarded to an Assessment Provider you should send a copy to the DWP, or if it has been forwarded a copy to the AP and the DWP, we also advise taking a copy of any late evidence to the assessment and asking the assessor to read it and include it in your file before proceeding with the interview.

Do not be tempted to delay the return of your PIP form in the hope of including the letters with it, it is essential that your form is returned to the DWP before the required date or you risk your PIP claim being closed and a loss of all related benefit.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dexy

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.