× Members

new claim for esa

• pack37
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #123036 by pack37
new claim for esa was created by pack37
My son is going to make a new claim for ESA. My question is, what does he need from his gp in the first instance, in terms of medical certification? He's not sure what to ask for. Thanks
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #123038 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic new claim for esa

pack37 wrote: My son is going to make a new claim for ESA. My question is, what does he need from his gp in the first instance, in terms of medical certification? He's not sure what to ask for. Thanks

He needs a Fit Note saying he is unfit for work at the moment, the first two cannot be for more than three months, he should also ask if the GP is prepared to provide a letter of support? The GP may expect the DWP to write to him for this information so your son needs to be aware that this only happens in about 25% of claims so the likelihood is that the GP will not receive a request for more information from them.

He should keep a copy of the Fit Note before sending it the DWP.

Claims for ESA can be made over the phone or by downloading an ESA1 (see GovUK), the former should be quicker but requires him to have all of the information required to hand when he makes the call.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: pack37

• bro58
9 years 10 months ago #123040 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic new claim for esa
Hi p37,

Gov.UK ESA

There is also an Understanding ESA Guide 2nd link down on this page :

ESA Claims Guides

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris