× Members

ESA dirty tricks support group called in to attend

More
9 years 10 months ago #123234 by micksville
As an update on this, a b and w member has confirmed to me on the news section of b and w that this practise is occurring at Streatham area JC+ where unnamed often undetailed letters are being sent out to ESA support group claimants inviting/ordering them in for wfi. Apparently these letters are sent under cover of JC+ manager by contract work providers sometimes giving a number for claimant to phone in asking for an explanation. Problem is there apparently no name on the letter and seemingly claimant can then be given the runaround.
This is and the topic re massive increase in ESA sanctions in he news section dated around July 1st.
Many thanks to Matata for bringing this to my attention...its not something I've come across personally but its something I will be wary of from here onwards.
I wonder what opinions b and w members have on this? Is it advisable to turn up for the interview and protest being called in, stating yo don't expect to be called in again? Or phone and demand clarification from JC+ or work provider managers? Finally, ignore the letter s its probably unlawful and against he rule anyway as SG members don't have to attend. Or does that run risk of sanction, which would surely be oveturned, though who wants to have to go through fighting an appeal against sanction however winnable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #123241 by sally-jane
I have been in the SG since first completing the forms since 2011, I think .
I was first placed in WRAG & then sent in a letter for a recon & subsequently placed in SG.(18 mnths)
Whilst I was awaiting to be put into the SG, I was informed I had to go to the Jobcentre for wfi's etc.
I phoned them & told them I was awaiting being placed in the SG.
The outcome was no need to attend the Jobcentre plus etc.
On being placed in the SG, I was 'invited' to go to the Jobcentre plus, in which I declined their very kind offer in writing informing them it was not a requirement for me to visit the Jobcentre plus at this time.
On completion of the 2nd merry go round ESA50, I was placed in the SG (3yrs), again I was 'invited' to visit the Jobcentrplus & again I wrote to them & explained I did not have to attend the Jobcentre plus etc as I was in the SG.

So in fact being 'invited' to go for a wfi etc is not a new thing and if one is in the SG as long as you correctly inform ATOS/DWP/Jobcentrplus etc that it is not a requirement for a member of the SG to attend wfi's etc, then all is ok, so far.
I do understand that if you do go you are open for sanctions etc down the line if you find it to onnerous to complete, therefore do not go in the first place.

I trust this helps micksville.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville, MariW

More
9 years 10 months ago #123243 by micksville
Its as I thought Puccalove...That's exactly what I'm advocating. I know when someone is awarded SG they can be invited for a wfi initially and, and you say one can decline. However, I think what matata was getting at on news section is that work providers are doing this in a somewhat vague and deceitful way. I'm not certain if Streatham were doing it to claimants when they had just been placed in SG or much further down the line..that isn't clear, nor is it made clear in Miss Toynbees article. My instinct would be as you said, if you accept it can have consequences down the line if you are unable to comply. I was initially in WRAG for almost 2 years but following a supersession when my moblity deteriorated even further was place in SG. My adviser from WRAG merely " congratulated" me i,n getting into sg and said I wouldn't need to attend again. Hat wz 12 months ago And thus far they've been true to their word.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris