× Members

ESA & Attendance Allowance ?

More
9 years 9 months ago #123308 by Noodles
ESA & Attendance Allowance ? was created by Noodles
Hi B & W,

My husbands recent 3 yr ESA Support group award runs out in June 2017,some 7 weeks before his retirement age of 65. How would/could this effect his future re assessments for ESA,,and/ or how close would that take him to applying for Attendance allowance ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #123311 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & Attendance Allowance ?

Noodles wrote: Hi B & W,

My husbands recent 3 yr ESA Support group award runs out in June 2017,some 7 weeks before his retirement age of 65. How would/could this effect his future re assessments for ESA,,and/ or how close would that take him to applying for Attendance allowance ?

ESA is an indefinite award with regular re-assessment, so your husbands award does not run out after three years it will continue until a new Decision is made on his claim. It may be that the DWP will re-assess him during 2017 but they may not, you sort of hope that common sense will prevail but there is no guarantee and they may not re-assess him before he reaches State Retirement Age.

Your husband can apply for PIP now, if successful then an award will continue past his 65th birthday as long as he continues to meet the criteria, or he can make a claim for AA as soon as he reaches his 65th birthday.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123316 by Noodles
Replied by Noodles on topic ESA & Attendance Allowance ?
Hi Gordon,

Whilst realising you don't give individual advice,What,if any advantages would their be of applying for PIP now,as hubby is not up for PIP assessment until 2015 according to the DWP updates? I'm really confused about this DLA to PIP changeover as hubby's condition and circumstances are now reaching a point were his original award for DLA wants looking at again,certainly with his DLA care component which currently stands at middle and has done for 15 years. He was recently diagnosed with moderate Alzheimers and his circumstances are changing by the week,but I don't know what to do for best as I keep hearing about PIP not having home visits,something my husband would require now as I cannot handle him alone safely anymore as his medication makes him have dangerous instability with his balance and he cannot mobilize at all now without my help.

I'm Totally confused, and if truth be know rather upset by the whole thing now.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123319 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & Attendance Allowance ?
Noodles

If you husband is currently receiving DLA then this will continue once he reaches 65, there is no need for him to switch to AA at this point. Obviously he will be switched to PIP at some time, as you mention 2015, I assume that his current award is indefinite and this should not then happen until at least October 2015.

He can only get DLA Higher Rate Care if he now has substantial care needs overnight, if it is only during the day that his condition has worsened then I am afraid there is no way to increase the award. You also have to consider whether you are in an active PIP area, if you are (see below) then reporting a Change of Circumstances will result in an invitation to claim PIP and you will have to transfer.

If you are in an active PIP area, then you have the option to initiate a transfer yourself, PIP does not distinguish between daytime and night time needs, so it may be easier for you to get a higher award, but you would need to go through the PIP Claim guides very carefully to see what points you might score before considering this.

If you are looking at the DLA Mobility side, then you will need to show that he cannot walk or that he is virtually unable to walk. The criteria for the higher rate of PIP are viewed as being stricter than DLA, however, the standard rate can be easier to get as you will be able to score points for both his walking difficulties and possibly the effects of his Alzheimer's.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 9 months ago #123320 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA & Attendance Allowance ?
Noodles, it depends which company would assess your husband's PIP. Capita do all/most of their assessments in the claimant's home anyway. I believe there is still the option to ask for a home visit with ATOS.

More
9 years 9 months ago #123321 by Noodles
Replied by Noodles on topic ESA & Attendance Allowance ?
Hello again,

Looking at the PIP map,the area we live in is currently white ?

So confused ?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.