× Members

PIP Assessment Home Visit

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123578 by Kaye
PIP Assessment Home Visit was created by Kaye
After some 10 months we have an appointment for a home visit this Friday. Sadly I didn't know about this site when we first completed the questionnaire although looking at the advice given I think we have covered most of the the answers correctly. Since applying due to my husband having bone marrow failure (VSAA), he has now had a stem cell transplant. Basically nothing has changed in his day to day needs and medical support but I am concerned that the assessors will consider that we should have made a "new claim". Also can anyone advise how the word "treatment" is interpreted by the assessors. My husband still has to spend two full days per week at both Kings and our local hospital for checks/tests/transfusions. Does this mean that we meet the requirement in that area of over 3.5 hours per week? One last question, the transplant consultant feels that the transplant was a "success", but apparently this doesn't mean that my husband will return to the previous good health he enjoyed and they have been blunt and said he only has a 60% survival rate at 5 years. Just wondering how this information would be viewed by an assessor? Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 9 months ago #123580 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP Assessment Home Visit

Kaye wrote: After some 10 months we have an appointment for a home visit this Friday. Sadly I didn't know about this site when we first completed the questionnaire although looking at the advice given I think we have covered most of the the answers correctly. Since applying due to my husband having bone marrow failure (VSAA), he has now had a stem cell transplant. Basically nothing has changed in his day to day needs and medical support but I am concerned that the assessors will consider that we should have made a "new claim". Also can anyone advise how the word "treatment" is interpreted by the assessors. My husband still has to spend two full days per week at both Kings and our local hospital for checks/tests/transfusions. Does this mean that we meet the requirement in that area of over 3.5 hours per week? One last question, the transplant consultant feels that the transplant was a "success", but apparently this doesn't mean that my husband will return to the previous good health he enjoyed and they have been blunt and said he only has a 60% survival rate at 5 years. Just wondering how this information would be viewed by an assessor? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi K,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Gordon, one of our other Mods is in the process of answering your query.

It should show up shortly.

bro58

More
9 years 9 months ago #123584 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Assessment Home Visit
Kaye

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The main issue associated with a claimant receiving treatment is whether it will affect their care or mobility needs over the next 9 months. this is undoubtedly complicated if you have waited 10 months. If his daily needs have not changed then this should not be an issue with the assessor.

The word "treatment" is not defined in regard to PIP but "therapy" is

“Therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a—
(a) registered –
(i) doctor;
(ii) nurse; or
(iii) pharmacist; or
(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council

The key aspect is that it is carried out at home or to be more precise a domestic setting, so any treatments being carried out in a hospital is unlikely to fall under this heading.

I think it unlikely that the assessor will pay too much attention to your husbands long term prognosis in making a recommendation as to the level of award that he should get, they will in regard to the length of the award. They are primarily concerned with you husbands daily needs on the day of the assessment, so how he might be at some time in the future is beyond their remit Disability and sickness benefits always look at the claimants health at a point in time, it is assumed/required that the claimant will notify the DWP should their condition change and effect the level of benefit they should be receiving.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kaye

• bro58
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123585 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP Assessment Home Visit
Hi K,

Just to reiterate Gordon's comments, "Q5 Managing treatments" is covered from the bottom of Page 27 of our :

"Guide to claiming PIP.
76 page guide to PIP claims and medicals."

On : This Page.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.