× Members

Is it necessary to explain why you ending claim?

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123614 by James
After the initial exuberance of the imminent end of ESA (CB) with news that NI contributions would continue to be paid doubts are creeping in.
Just how much per week is a single persons paid NI contribution please?
With the prospect of no other income or benefits coming in it doesn't seem like much of a life.
Im now thinking it might be better to have done with the claim all together.
There are many ways to close the lcw claim all together,there might be slight improvement in ones condition enabling one to seek work,but if you totally close the claim is it necessary to explain all this in detail once again as an improvement of circumstance?Seems a bit pointless if the object is to finally close the claim?
Theres always the question "What are you going to live on?"
Even if you struggle through by auctioning possessions etc.The ATOS Doctors are bound to perhaps ask that?
So can just say to The DWP "Close my claim"with no further form filling or explanation please?
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #123615 by Gordon
James

I think you may have misunderstood what NI Credits (Not NI Contributions) are :)

NI Credits count towards a full State Pension, it is not a cash payment of any kind, nor can they be used (on their own) towards any future claim for a Contribution Based benefit such as ESA(CB) or JSA(CB).

You can close your claim by contacting the DWP, I would do it in writing but they will likely accept a phone call, but I feel obliged to remind you that you will be eligible for Income Related ESA and whilst your situation will be no better than it now is , it will be no worse either.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123620 by James
Hi Gordon,Just re:NI Credits yes I understand they are credit stored up for ones pension in years to come.
Assuming a pension is very roughly £100 p.w. just out of interest what percentage of that roughly do they pay in on your behalf weekly?
Only very approximate amounts as obviously by 2025 whatever the amount might be very different!
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
9 years 9 months ago #123625 by Gordon

James wrote: Hi Gordon,Just re:NI Credits yes I understand they are credit stored up for ones pension in years to come.
Assuming a pension is very roughly £100 p.w. just out of interest what percentage of that roughly do they pay in on your behalf weekly?
Only very approximate amounts as obviously by 2025 whatever the amount might be very different!

It's impossible to say, there is a major change to pensions planned to be implemented in 2015 that will change the Contribution requirements and the State Retirement Age is being increased to 67 and then to 68, the amount you might receive is dependant on your Contribution history to date and what you acquire between now and 2025, if that is the date that you would expect to reach SRA.

You can contact HMRC for a summary of your current situation but I don't believe this includes the amount you might receive, just how many years of Contributions you currently have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 9 months ago #123626 by slugsta
James, it does not work quite like that. For each year you are on ESA, you get a 'tick' made against that year to say that you have had NI credits awarded, no money is actually exchanged. You currently need 30 years worth of credits or contributions to get full state pension.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.