× Members

Fraud Investigation

• arrows
  • Topic Author
9 years 9 months ago #123654 by arrows
Fraud Investigation was created by arrows
I have today received a 'heavy handed' letter from the DWP stating that an investigation into alleged criminal offences in relation to a claim to benefit is taking place. No indication as to what the alleged criminal offence is ??

After phoning to confirm my attendance at an interview next week it was 'let slip' that there was undeclared capital !!.......

I hold an account in my name but it is my 92 yr old father's money (not a substantial amount, I might add) and that I was made his appointee 3 yrs ago.

I can only think this is what is causing the problem....... any advice anyone please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123659 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Fraud Investigation
Arrows

The DWP via HMRC electronically track bank accounts in benefit claimants name.

If it is this account that is causing the problem then you will need to show that even though it is in your name, the money is not yours nor cannot it be used for your benefit.

You do not say what format the interview is, if it is a compliance interview then you can have someone with you and we recommend you doing this, they can take notes and also offer moral support. If the interview is Under Caution (IUC), then we strongly recommend that you seek legal advice and should not attend without your solicitor being present if at all possible.

The capital and savings limits for most Income Related benefits is £6000 after which there is a £1/week deduction for every £250 in excess, the absolute limit is £16,000 above which you cannot receive benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

• James
9 years 9 months ago #123692 by James
Replied by James on topic Fraud Investigation
Gordon when you say electronically track do you mean this is mandatory for all new claims?

More
9 years 9 months ago #123694 by Gordon

James wrote: Gordon when you say electronically track do you mean this is mandatory for all new claims?

It is nothing to do with new claims!

All banks, etc. report the interest they pay on bank or savings accounts to HMRC at least annually and probably quarterly, I doubt that HMRC pass on the information for every account, there is bound to be a minimum level, but for those that they do, the DWP then matches account owners to benefit claimants to see whether they may have exceeded the limits for any Income Related benefits they are receiving.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• James
9 years 9 months ago #123695 by James
Replied by James on topic Fraud Investigation
Gordon Theres something I don't understand about this,nowadays the majority of Bank & building Society Current Accounts pay zero interest.
Also Customers are generally offered the option of opting out of Tax at source?

More
9 years 9 months ago #123696 by Gordon

James wrote: Gordon Theres something I don't understand about this,nowadays the majority of Bank & building Society Current Accounts pay zero interest.
Also Customers are generally offered the option of opting out of Tax at source?

Can't really comment, none of my accounts have zero interest and I have never been offered the option of opting out :)

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: James

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris