× Members

pip mandatory reconsideration

• Val Rose
  • Topic Author
9 years 9 months ago #123663 by Val Rose
pip mandatory reconsideration was created by Val Rose
Hi, I'm a new member, joined to help my 24 yr old daughter. She has non epilepsy attacks Disorder and has grand mal like seizures approx. every other day, she is unable to cook for herself and after having seizures in the road when she went out, she is now unable to go out alone. I have had to reduce my hours in work to look after her and also pay for a carer. I completed the application form for pip myself as she has learning difficulties. After having the medical we finally got an answer after 11 months. She didn't qualify for care as she only scored 4 points, I wasn't too surprised at this but the mobility part was what shocked me as she only scored 4 points for that as well.

I have now been to the CAB and lodged a mandatory reconsideration. My advisor completed the form but just asked for it to be looked at again and to have more points awarded.
She did not mention the example on the DWP website which describes a young man with epilepsy who is unable to go out unattended because of the dangers of traffic, who although does not qualify for the care element should be entitled to the enhanced mobility component.
My advisor has asked me to go to my Gp and ask him to fill in a form for me to submit to the DWP describing what my condition is and how it affects me. I remember seeing a similar form that someone had taken to their gp on a site online but I can't seem to find it since. Has anyone got one or can anyone help, as I have an appointment with my daughters gp at 7:30 in the morning. Sorry for the really long email but I'm a civil servant working in another government department and I never thought I would have cause to criticise a fellow government department, but not only is the assessment process chaotic , I really do feel that the decision maker are either not trained adequately or not following the guidelines properly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #123665 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip mandatory reconsideration
VR

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

If your daughter does not have any problems with walking then to meet the Enhanced Mobility requirement you will need to show that she

Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.

if she only scored 4 points then she has been assessed as

Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.

The Mandatory Reconsideration process offers the claimant an opportunity to submit further evidence or to clarify what has already be sent to the DWP, you will have about four weeks to do this before a DWP Decision Maker will look at the evidence again and either uphold the original Decision or revise it favour of your daughter. If you are still not satisfied with the result then you can make an appeal to the Tribunal Service to overturn the Decision.

I am afraid we do not have a template for you to provide to her doctor. I would start by discussing the result with them and whether they will provide support for the MR and any appeal that might follow. I am afraid that her GP is not required to provide any support and many do not, even if they do they may ask you to pay for it, so it is worth your getting an understanding of what they are prepared to supply before going ahead.

In terms of documentation I would suggest that you supply them with a list of the PIP Descriptors for Going Out (they are listed in our PIP Claim guide, link below), without the scoring attached and I would not discuss the number of points required for an award to be made so you avoid being seen as leading the GP which can significantly devalue any letter they produce. Once they have selected an Descriptor then ask them to justify their selection in the letter referencing your daughter's conditions and wherever possible any medical reports that you have from Consultants and/or hospitals that are on her file.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

The above link contains all of our PIP related guides, it would be worth your having a look at the Claim guide for advice on what the DWP are looking for and the PIP Assessment guide that is used by those who carried out her assessment. There is also a guide to the MR and Appeal process.

If you have not done so already you should request a copy of the assessors medical report to see what they reported on her condition.

If we can help further then please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris