× Members

ESA Assessment Phase for over a year

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #123959 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Assessment Phase for over a year

Terri64 wrote: I contacted ATOS via the customer relations email address quoted above. They were really helpful and the end result is that they have recommended my young relative to be placed in the support group. Fingers crossed this will be approved by the DWP.

If it is successful, how much will the ESA payment increase by? I think I read somewhere that it is about £20 per week extra but I can't locate the info now.

Many thanks

Hi T64,

A cautious "Well Done" !! :)

As you rightly state, it is the DWP Decision Maker (DM) who makes the final decision on an ESA award, not ATOS who only make recommendations.

However, in the vast majority of cases The DWP DM will agree with the ATOS recommendations.

You should receive a written Decision Notice from The DWP confirming The SG award.

If you don't, it would now be the DWP that you should chase up on this.

As you will see from the link below :

Benefit Rates 2014

The current rate for The Support Group Component of ESA is £35.75/Week. This will be paid on top of the Personal Allowance (Assessment Phase) payment that they have been in receipt of. As it seems that this was a fresh ESA claim which was made circa May 2013, The SG Component should be backdated to the start of week 14 of their claim.

Further, once you receive confirmation that they are in The SG, and any arrears are paid along with regular payments of the full ESA rate. Your relative may also be entitled to added ESA Premium top-ups, again from the date of eligibility of SG.

See : ESA Premiums

It would be The Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP) which is currently £15.55/Week for a single.

To receive any payment of "Premiums" they will need to be financially assessed for payment or Income Related (IR) ESA, if they are not already entitled to, and being paid IR ESA.

This is done by filling in an ESA 3 Form.

If they are entitled to any IR ESA, even a penny, this passports them to other things such as Housing Benefit (HB) Council Tax Support, free prescriptions and dental care, etc.

Have a look at one of my previous post on IR ESA Premiums : Here.

Please keep us updated. :)

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #123961 by Terri64
Replied by Terri64 on topic ESA Assessment Phase for over a year
That is amazing. Thanks so much for this information. Fingers crossed DWP accept the recommendations. This will make the world of difference.

Yes, I will update once I hear. Thanks again.

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #123962 by bro58
Hi T64,

I know that you are also helping another relative with benefits problems, and it may a bit much to take on immediately, but you may also wish to consider making a PIP claim for your relative when the other issues are sorted out :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

PIP Topic Thread in Spotlight Area

In certain aspects of PIP, it is more likely for a claimant with mental health issues to gain an award than it was previously with DLA.

PIP is a totally different allowance to ESA, it is not "Work" related, it is related to limitations suffered with daily living and mobility.

Like DLA it is non-means tested and is not classed as income for the purposes of entitlement to any IR benefits. (such as IR ESA)

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago #123963 by bro58
No Problem T64,

We will try and help as much as we can !! :)

bro58

More
9 years 7 months ago #123991 by Terri64
Replied by Terri64 on topic ESA Assessment Phase for over a year
Actually, I started a PIP claim for him a couple of months back - that's when the DWP made me an Appointee. I have actually received the booklet to complete. It arrived on 12 August and I have been told that the completed document must be returned by 30th of the month. I was quite surprised at the short time given to complete the form, it's going to be a struggle as I am going away on Monday.

Thank you for the links, I will make sure I read them before filling in the forms.

More
9 years 7 months ago #123992 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Assessment Phase for over a year
Terri

It's essential that the PIP2 form is returned to the DWP by the required date as a failure to do so will likely result in the claim being closed and your having to start from scratch.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terri64

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.