× Members

Atos strikes again

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #124048 by mddyq
Atos strikes again was created by mddyq
Hi,

Having used your guides I was transferred from Invalidity Benefit paid for by Income Support to ESA and much to my surprise was put into the support group without a medical last year. The awarding letter stated that I would not receive less money, so far so good as in fact the amount went up.

Two weeks ago I attended an ATOS medical. It was long (hour and a half) and focused mainly on the reason I was placed in the support group. The report as expected is full of errors, omissions and assumptions. One problem, the HCP (who had led me to believe that she was a doctor) refused to accept the symptoms that I described saying it was not possible. My lapse because I didn't think forward and take supporting evidence from my GP or Consultant for every little detail.

A week later I received a letter asking me to attend a Work Focused Interview. Ok I thought that means they've moved me out of the support group. Had to phone DWP to ask for confirmation and an explanation. New letter states weekly benefit that will be less than I was receiving from Income Support last year.

Last year I successfully represented my daughter at a tribunal so I'm aware of the course to take but really don't have the mental strength to deal with all the paperwork. Just wanted to warn others of the pitfalls.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #124052 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Atos strikes again
mddyq

If you have been moved from the Support Group to the WRAG then the Decision Maker should have to justify this Decision if your health has not improved.

I am afraid that this Decision will not be changed unless you challenge it, your last appeal was some time ago and the process was changed at the end of October 2013, you now need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration first, only after this has completed will you be able to lodge an appeal. The amended process is explained in more detail in our ESA MR and Appeal Guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Whilst you are in the WRAG you are required to participate in WFIs and Work Related Activity (WRA), your failing to do so can and likely will lead to your benefit being sanctioned. I would contact the JC+ advisor and explain your situation and that you will be challenging the Decision, if your conditions prevent or would made it difficult to attend their offices it may be possible to arrange for the WFI to be deferred or to be held over the phone.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mddyq

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125123 by mddyq
Replied by mddyq on topic Atos strikes again
Thank you Gordon for your advice (1 month 7 days ago) with regard to a negative report from ATOS which meant I was transferred from the Support Group to the WRAG group.

I requested a reconsideration of the DWP decision writing a brief letter to describe why I felt the ATOS report was wrong and enclosed a supporting letter from my GP. Whilst waiting I also attended the WFI. The lady at the interview was very supportive and really couldn't suggest anything for me to do, work, voluntary or otherwise.

Yesterday I received a letter saying that they had looked at my claim again following a recent change. The only mention of 'Support Group' is listed under 'Limited capability for work addition'. Could you please tell me what type of form I should ask for so that I have a copy of their revised decision and how it was decided?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

9 years 7 months ago #125125 by
Replied by on topic Atos strikes again
Merged topics for continuity.

bro58

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125127 by

mddyq wrote: Thank you Gordon for your advice (1 month 7 days ago) with regard to a negative report from ATOS which meant I was transferred from the Support Group to the WRAG group.

I requested a reconsideration of the DWP decision writing a brief letter to describe why I felt the ATOS report was wrong and enclosed a supporting letter from my GP. Whilst waiting I also attended the WFI. The lady at the interview was very supportive and really couldn't suggest anything for me to do, work, voluntary or otherwise.

Yesterday I received a letter saying that they had looked at my claim again following a recent change. The only mention of 'Support Group' is listed under 'Limited capability for work addition'. Could you please tell me what type of form I should ask for so that I have a copy of their revised decision and how it was decided?

Hi mdd,

Are you sure that you have been placed back into The SG ?

Does the letter mention "Support Group Component" which is currently £35.75/Week?

Benefit Rates 2014

Does the letter mention that you have Limited Capability for Work Related Activity. (LCWRA) ?

bro58

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125129 by
Hi mdd,

On the assumption that you have been placed back into The SG by way of a Mandadtory Reconsideration. (MR)

If you already have the ESA85 Medical Report from the "Medical" that caused you to be placed into The WRAG, then there is no need to request that.

I doubt very much that there will be another medical report.

You could request The LT54 Form and all other documentation used in coming to the revised SG decision.

A description of an LT54 can be found at the bottom of this list :

ESA Forms

There may also be an ESA113 questionnaire, if one was sent to your G.P.

To cover all bases, you could make a SAR for "All" documentation used in coming to The SG decision.

You could also pose particular questions, e.g. :

1. Reasons why you were placed into the SG, including which of SG descriptors were applied. Whether it be one or more of The Schedule 3 Functional Descriptors, or The ESA Regulation 35 Non Functional Descriptor.

2. The prognosis of the SG award, and when you should expect to have your next reassessment.

You can do this using a SAR Form :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the Benefits Office dealing with your ESA.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

You could phone : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA, the earlier in the day the better.

They may be able to confirm that you have been placed into The SG, and the recommended date of when you should be reassessed.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.