× Members

esa support group - change of circumstances

• grandmabagpuss
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125079 by grandmabagpuss
esa support group - change of circumstances was created by grandmabagpuss
I've been in the esa support group (contributions based) since 2010. During this time I've had 2 atos medicals. The last 2 renewals were decided without a medical much to my relief and my next re-assessment date is early 2016. I have a chronic bowel condition and meet the descriptors for the support group because I suffer with bowel urgency/incontinence. I've never been too clear on the "change of circumstances" criteria - I've rung the dwp when I've been in hospital, or when my husband retired and claimed retirement pension, but basically they've said they're not interested unless I'm hospitalised for a long time, or claim an occupational pension. I realise that if I were claiming earnings related esa then changes in income would be a factor, what what "changes in circumstances" would affect a cb based claim?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125088 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa support group - change of circumstances
grandmabagpuss

I am afraid there is no definitive list and I think it would be easy to give a list of yes and no's and get it wrong, so I want to stress, the following is not a complete list, if in doubt, notify the DWP.

Changes breakdown into two categories, for want of a better description changes with a small c (that do not affect the award) and those with a big C (that may). Things like changes of address or bank details are changes with a small c but always need to be reported for obvious reasons.

Those with a big C include;

- changes of income, for ESA(CB) this would be pension and pension related income (for example PHI payments)
- a change in condition, in reality the DWP don't really care if you get worse, but they certainly do if you improve.
- in connection with the previous item, if you have surgery.
- starting or stopping work
- voluntary work, you are not specifically required to notify the DWP of this, but if there are issues with your claim it can go against you if they are not aware you are doing this.

There are undoubtedly others.

One point to note, even if you believe that a change will not affect your benefit because of the Regulations for that benefit (e.g. pension income under the £85/week disregard), it does not remove the requirement to notify the DWP, only the DWP can decide that it does not apply.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: grandmabagpuss

More
9 years 7 months ago #125097 by bbzpda
Replied by bbzpda on topic esa support group - change of circumstances
Interested to read that on ESA (Support Group) you don't have to tell DWP about voluntary work. I am in ESA (SG) and DWP sent me a letter saying I do need to tell the local JobPlus about any voluntary work.

So when I started doing a couple of hours a week of voluntary work, I phoned them, and they seemed rather surprised that I had bothered! :laugh:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.