× Members

DLA RENEWAL CLAIM HANDED IN AFTER AWARD ENDED?

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125198 by zeynab
Dear Benefits & Works,

I was wondering if you could assist me with some much needed advice??? I submitted my brother's DLA renewal form (DLA1A Adult January 2014) using the free-post envelope at the end of August. His DLA award was due to end on: Saturday 27/09/2014. I called them up on the Friday (26th September) so see if they had received the form-they hadn't.

As you can imagine I was both shocked and extremely anxious. When we spoke to an adviser today, she said that he would need to put in a new PIP claim, however looking at the PIP timetable (from your website) it states that the introduction of PIP to our area (Southall) would come into affect in 2015.

From your experience in these matters, do you think if I submit a covering letter informing them that I had sent the initial form off before the award was due to end (even though I do not have any evidence per se), this will also be submitted with the DWP letter stating that my brother could renew his DLA claim again (dated 11th May 2014).

I am just worried that as the award has ended in theory my brother would have to submit a fresh claim for DLA, even though now that is not possible (as DLA is being phased out for PIP) or the new PIP claim would need to be made. This could take 6-8 weeks and can take even longer with the back lodge of claims.

Please, please, please HELP, I'm really worried!!!

z.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125199 by Gordon
zeynab

It is worth, in the short term, trying to convince the DWP that the form was returned and on time, but I am afraid if you have no proof of posting and perhaps more importantly of receipt by the DWP then I am afraid there is virtually no chance that the DWP will accept your word. The only other thing I can suggest is for you to send a copy of the completed form immediately to the DWP, this will at least show that it was completed.

If they do not accept that the form was returned, then your brother will have to make a new claim for PIP as his DLA will have ceased on the 27th. New claims for PIP can be made anywhere in the UK with the exception of Northern Ireland, it is only "transfers" that are restricted to active postcodes.

As it will be a new claim, he will not be entitled to any payments until a Decision on the claim is made, current wait times for PIP are 35 weeks (on average) and increasing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.