× Members

IR ESA and pension

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125316 by mrs doyle
IR ESA and pension was created by mrs doyle
I currently receive CB ESA,which expires in two months(12 month rule).My query is will I be eligable for IR ESA with savings of £15000 and a personal pension plan which matures when I am 60 (4 years time)?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125318 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic IR ESA and pension

mrsdoyle wrote: I currently receive CB ESA,which expires in two months(12 month rule).My query is will I be eligable for IR ESA with savings of £15000 and a personal pension plan which matures when I am 60 (4 years time)?

Hi md,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

You are correct in that if you are not in The Support Group (SG) of ESA, you are entitled to 365 days payments of CB ESA before payments cease :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Once payments do cease, ("in two months") you would have to undergo a financial assessment, (generally by way of requesting, filling in and returning an ESA 3 Form to The DWP) to see whether you can pass the IR ESA means test with regards to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if you have one.

You are allowed up to £6,000 in capital, assets and savings without it having any effect on your entitlement to payment of IR ESA, if you have in excess of £16,000 you will not be entitled to any IR ESA at all.

Between £6,000-£16,000, weekly deductions would be made from any IR ESA payments as explained in this FAQ :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

See also :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Once your pension plan matures, any income from this would be offset £ for £ against any IR ESA payments, so along with the savings, this could cancel out any IR ESA payments that you were entitled to.

I am not absolutely certain whether the pension plan that you speak of would be classed as capital or assets before it matures, so you may be best advised to obtain professional advice on this :

Where to get advice

As you are over 50 years old, you could seek advice from : Age UK.

Failing those options, you could "Google" Welfare Rights/Advice for your Town/Postcode.

What the DWP class as capital, assets and savings is not as straight forward as one may think. Therefore, it would be near impossible to give you a definitive answer on an open forum.

If you are to request an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form, it may be best to do so shortly if your CB ESA is due to cease in two months.

bro58

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125319 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic IR ESA and pension
Hi ms,

To give you some idea of the personal information required in an ESA 3 Form, here is a : Sample ESA 3 Form.

This is not the current version, but that should be much the same.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.