× Members

ESA - Pension Credit ?

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #125444 by Noodles
ESA - Pension Credit ? was created by Noodles
Hii B&W,

We received a letter today stating my Hubby will ' soon reach minimum state Pention credit age ' early next January. The letter goes on to state that we have to decide wether to claim Income based ESA which we can claim until hubby's State pension age apparently,or Apply for Pention Credit, but we cannot apparently claim for both ESA ( IB) AND Pension Credits. My hubby was recently ( June ) awarded 3 years in the ESA support group without any Medicals as he now has Alzheimers on top of ongoing Mobility issues. He currently gets DLA for both Mobility and Care.at high and medium rates respectfully and I receive Carers allowance for my Husband ?

What exactly is Pension credit, how does it effect ESA IR and or DLA,will we now lose something we have worked so hard to finally achieve via this fantastic website ?

Worried,confused and in need of real help on this one if possible please.

:unsure:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #125447 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Pension Credit ?
Noodles

Pension Credit is an Income Related benefit for those who are approaching or have reached State Retirement Age.

As both PC and ESA(IR) are Income Related you can only receive one of them at any particular time and they both operate in exactly the same way, so for example your Carers Allowance is still counted as income, but your DLA will not be.

I am afraid that we cannot tell you whether you would be better off receiving PC than ESA(IR) as this will depend on your personal circumstances, it may be possible to get an idea of how much you will receive by using one of the benefit calculators, alternatively get face to face advice from a trained Advisor who should be able to calculate your payments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #125450 by Noodles
Replied by Noodles on topic ESA - Pension Credit ?
Thanks.

Could you tell me if this Pension credit thing gets the same amount of assessment scrutiny as ESA,things like having to potentially satisfy ATOS 'medicals',masses of paper evidence needed ect ? Is It spilt into support group or WRAG status,or would that get left behind if said decision in favour of PCredits was made.. .?

Forgive my ignorance... I'm not myself right now..(having a bad time with Hubby). currently applying for a bit of respite as unable to cope.

:(
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 6 months ago #125453 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Pension Credit ?
Noodles

Eligibility for PC is based on your personal circumstances, it takes no account of sickness or disability and their are no assessments for these.

I meant to post a link to more information about PC, the Gov UK site also has a PC calculator

www.gov.uk/pension-credit/overview

and the Age UK site has a better explanation of what it is all about.

www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-...t-is-pension-credit/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.