× Members

is Esa taxable

More
9 years 6 months ago #125474 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic is Esa taxable

Rees wrote: I thought that if you had been on a benefit and it changed like I went from invalidity to incapacity and even though incapacity was taxable mine wasn't because I had been transferred from one to the other, so I thought that this would be the same going from incapacity to ESA as i am not a new claim, but just being transferred again.

The Government (current one) had the option of adding a tax exemption for transferred claimants in the legislation that enables the transfers, however, they chose not to and therefore all claimants have to abide by the normal rule for ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #125476 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic is Esa taxable

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rees

More
9 years 6 months ago #125492 by LadyLuna
Replied by LadyLuna on topic is Esa taxable
This is interesting. I had no idea CB ESA which I get, was taxable. I never actually got a letter explaining anything, I had to ring up. I did get a thing from the Tax Office in April saying how much money I got but no tax paid or owed.

Would that be right?

More
9 years 6 months ago #125498 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic is Esa taxable

LadyLuna wrote: This is interesting. I had no idea CB ESA which I get, was taxable. I never actually got a letter explaining anything, I had to ring up. I did get a thing from the Tax Office in April saying how much money I got but no tax paid or owed.

Would that be right?

If your only taxable income is ESA(CB) then I would not expect you to have exceeded the Personal Allowance for Tax (£10,000) and therefore there would be no tax payable.

The DWP should notify HMRC when a claimant start receiving ESA(CB) but this does not remove the requirement for the claimant to notify them as well.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyLuna

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.