× Members

ESA Tax Mix-up

More
9 years 6 months ago #126343 by bigcat
Replied by bigcat on topic ESA Tax Mix-up
I am pleased to be able to inform that HMRC have now written off ex-miners tax bill.HMRC concluded that the underpayments had arisen because assumption had been made that were too low meaning there was an underpayment of tax. I am now hoping for the same result.The information has come from Northern Echo newspaper website 8.11.14.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129762 by bigcat
I am now pleased to say that HMRC have now written off mine. Anyone else in the same situation should appeal as the retired miners and I did because we have been listened to and saved ourselves a considerable amount of money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse

More
9 years 2 months ago #129880 by boadicea
Replied by boadicea on topic ESA Tax Mix-up
bigcat - thank you for your update. I really appreciate you posting. I am in the same position - for me, this is the third tax year that HMRC have been deducting the extra tax which was supposedly owing after migaration to ESA, even though my tax code was amended at the time. I've been told I have to pay it. I've no idea how to appeal, but will try. Thank you!

More
9 years 2 months ago #129991 by bigcat
Boadicea,sorry to hear you are having these tax problems. It is hard for me to give exact advice about how and what to say in your particular case but if you know you are in the right I would say appeal. I did nothing over the phone,all on paper,photocopied and sent every letter recorded delivery. HMRC sent me letters from two different addresses about the same matter and i had to make sure i sent letters to both so as to make sure the matter was getting attention from the right office whichever of the two that was. If you don't get anywhere with HMRC (they do take a lot of time to answer) and you still feel you have a valid case despite what they may say I would suggest sending all copies of your case to your local MP requesting help. I was advised to do this if I was getting nowhere. It is all hassle which we can all do without when not feeling in the best of health but a real tonic to be proved right when all along you have known you are. All the best. bigcat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boadicea

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.