× Members

End of ESA(CB)inter connecting with Tax System?

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125727 by James
My P45 has been received from The ESA people but having received ESA (CB)for 6 months of this Tax Year taxable (April-October 2014)& yet to find work where does this leave me?
I mean as alluded to earlier theres no way my current income position meets the threshold for Income Tax.
However financial employees are saying even they do not know but think that fact might need to be verified with Inland Revenue none the less involving amongst other things sending a copy of The ESA certificate of Benefit paid to The Inland Revenue?
Have you heard about this a person off ESA or recntly in receipt but not yet in work with minimal income surviving onstored food,petty savings,sale of their auctionable possessions, etc?
So will Tax contact me automatically asking if I need to pay tax and if not do I need to fill out any forms and sign declarations providing certificates or can I just leave it as is?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125730 by Gordon
James

If you have any doubts about HMRC being aware of your ESA payments then you should contact them about it.

If your only taxable income has been ESA then I would not expect you to have exceeded your Personal Allowance and therefore there should be n p tax to pay, if ESA has not been your only taxable income then you will need to see a Financial Advisor as to whether any tax is likely to be owed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• James
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago #125738 by James
Hi Gordon Yes ESA CB Non Means tested has been my only source of taxable income.
Its probable I will not be starting any work until at least end April 2015 seeing how the transition goes.
The problem here is not 'illicit'taxable income of any kind exceeding personal threshold.
No,its whether a person who at the end of the day who doesn't need to pay any tax needs to declare this fact in writing and provide evidence to that effect?
Will they be automaticalyl be sent a Tax Return even though The Tax Office has only their 6 months ESA on record as their income for the year?
I cannot easily make frreephone enquiries of The Tax Office anymore as they closed down all the local centres in cutbacks.
I cannot afford and do not need 'an accountant'!

More
9 years 7 months ago #125741 by Gordon
James

I am sorry but we cannot give financial advice on the forum.

Only HMRC can decide whether there is any tax owing, if you have any doubts then you need to contact them, you do not need to phone them in fact I would recommend that any communication is done in writing so there is a an audit trail of information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: James

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.