× Members

mandatory reconsideration

More
9 years 6 months ago #125781 by carmind
mandatory reconsideration was created by carmind
Since MR was introduced, which stopped the ESA assessments payments, I have advised my clients to claim JSA in the interim period.
However, our local Job Centre is now telling people to put in a new claim for ESA until their appeal is heard.
If they do this, and then win their appeal, what happens to their original claim? Does it continue after the appeal or have they effectively ended it by putting in a second ESA claim?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #125782 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic mandatory reconsideration
I believe that ESA can be reclaimed immediately. However, no payments would be made until 6 months has passed since the original decision - unless the claimant can prove that their condition has worsened, or a new one developed, in that time.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 6 months ago #125786 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic mandatory reconsideration
carmind

Just to add to Mrs H's comment.

JC+ have no authority to refuse a JSA claim on this basis as your clients will have been found Fit for Work by their own legal tests (WCA).

They can only refuse is the claimant is unable to fulfil the requirements of any modified Job Search agreement.

I'm not commenting on whether claimants should claim JSA versus a new claim for ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 6 months ago #125787 by carmind
Replied by carmind on topic mandatory reconsideration
My worry is that my client will win his appeal (and he will!) but they will say that the claim was closed when he put in a second claim and so he will be re-assessed on this basis

More
9 years 6 months ago #125789 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic mandatory reconsideration
I'm not sure about that - but the new decision would limit any award made by the tribunal. So, the tribunal put the client into the Support Group but the new decision finds Fit for Work again and the circus starts all over again.

Warn clients NOT to show a fitnote to JobCentre when claiming JSA, that is a sure way to get the claim refused.

• bro58
9 years 6 months ago #125791 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic mandatory reconsideration
Hi c,

Have a look at : this rightsnet thread, and the links to other threads and documents therein.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris