× Members

DLA renewal

• keith brookes
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125804 by keith brookes
DLA renewal was created by keith brookes
I am in blind panic! this is the first time I have had to renew my DLA higher mobility allowance. I had no doubt that I would pass any tests as I am crippled with osteoarthritis in my knees (one replaced but not very successful) hips, base of my spine, hands and right elbow and shoulder. I have chronic lung disease (industrial, I have never smoked) and I have had several TIAs or mini strokes which badly effect my memory. I returned my completed renewal forms on the 3rd July which I thought was in plenty of time for late September, I could not believe my luck when I did not receive an invitation to appear before the inquisition! and thought it was probably because of the change to PIP which was coming up. My wife went to collect my DLA a couple of weeks ago and there was a reduced amount, I tried several times to e-mail the DWP because I am still not very confident on the phone but I had to phone in the end. I went through all the questions with the help of my wife (on speakerphone) then the lady at DWP just casually said your claim has ended! I was stunned and asked why to be told that I had not returned my forms, I said of course I did, my wife posted them and I marked the date on the calendar she said can you prove it!!! I said what do I do now and the reply was "there is nothing you can do, your claim is finished and you are too old at 66 to start a new one) I said why would I not return my forms, this money is crucial to me. It means the difference between keeping and loosing our home as I will be unable to keep up my mortgage and I just don't know what to do.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125805 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA renewal
KB

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The forum has just closed so I am going to provide as much information as I can, if you have further questions then post again when we re-open tomorrow (2pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm).

Do you have any proof that you sent the forms, even better, proof of delivery (certificate of posting, Recorded Delivery, etc.)? If you do then you should provide the DWP with copies of the documentation as soon as you can.

Send a copy of the completed DLA forms to the DWP as soon as you can, tomorrow is best, this will show that they were completed and importantly that this was done before you contacted the DWP.

Get your MP involved, they may be able to get the Decision overturned.

Contacting your MP

I have to warn you that if you are unable to get this Decision overturned then your options are extremely limited if you are currently over 65 as you cannot make a new claim for DLA or PIP only Attendance Allowance which does not have a mobility component.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.