× Members

carers alloweance

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #126049 by ian
carers alloweance was created by ian
hi could you please tell me if both partners are getting dla and pip can they both get carers allowance for caring for each other at present I am on dla high awards for both and wife gets carers for me and my wife has just been awarded pip enhanced mobility and standard care 3 year award
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #126054 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic carers alloweance
Hi Ian,

Yes, it is perfectly possible to get carer's allowance for looking after each other. However, you should expect questions to be asked at some stage if doing so is at odds with the reasons you were awarded your own DLA/PIP.

ps - there is a similar question here -

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=102226

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by slugsta. Reason: ps added
The following user(s) said Thank You: ian

More
9 years 6 months ago #126055 by ian
Replied by ian on topic carers alloweance
thank you for reply

More
9 years 6 months ago #126056 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic carers alloweance
Ian

There is no legal restriction on a couple claiming CA for each other however you risk your DLA claim being re-assessed and if you are in an active PIP postcode, being invited to claim it.

Your claiming CA for your wife would be a change of circumstances that you would have to notify to the DWP, you need to consider whether your providing a minimum of 35 hours care a week would be consistent with your current DLA award. If for example your limitations are physical and your wife's award is because she needs prompting, then there may be no conflict, however, if your restrictions are both of the same nature then this could be seen as an issue.

As an alternative, if you are receipt of an Income Related benefit such as ESA(IR), Income Support or Pension Credit, then your wife would qualify for the Severe Disability Premium which is the about the same money as CA. The normal rule for living alone would be waived as you are both receiving a suitable Care award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, ian

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris