× Members

ESA Review of worsening health

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127768 by sirius1
ESA Review of worsening health was created by sirius1
:silly:SIRIUS

My world has been turned upside down by DWP . I was transferred from IB to ESA without a medical in May 2012. I thought it was for 2 years when I would have been 65 and it would stop.

So glad not to need a medical did not fully read letter from DWP. My main problem is a stroke in 2006, along with arthritic problems..

My health got worse in Nov. 2013 so decided to request a reconsideration in Feb. 2014, to go from ESA wrag to ESA support which I should have been on in the first place.

No info received on reconsideration,, just a medical form. After waiting 6 months and my ESA stopping after 365 days in May started to get desperate for money as I did not qualify for income support.

Started writing letters of complaint in Sept. 2014 and got my MP involved. Finally got a medical in Dec. 2014 only to be told not required as addition information received and ATOS was sending my file back to DWP.

Neither my GP or myself sent anything in just letters of complaint Dec. 24th they decided to move me into support group of ESA wrag, as from 24 Dec. no mention of back payment to when I originally made request for reconsideration.

As the letter was dated 30 December and decision was made on 24th Dec. when is the one month up to challenge for back payment, which I believe I am entitled to as the DWP have failed on at least 3 counts to follow their own rules regulations and guide line.

Any info on claiming back payment claims will be most welcome.

Advice to anyone waiting more than the 13 weeks guide lines, start writing early, contact your MP make a complaint to the DWP complaints department, things then start to move a little quicker.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127776 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Review of worsening health
TA

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

You will have to forgive me but I am a little confused by your dates, it may just be that it is a new year and you have not taken this into account.

You say that you were originally transferred in May 2012 and placed in the WRAG, that would mean that your ESA(CB) payments would have stopped in May 2013, however, your post suggest that it was 2014.

You say that you asked for a Reconsideration in February 2014. Is this the phraseology that you used to the DWP? Did you mention that your request was due to a deteriorated condition? The DWP would not have been able to carry out a Reconsideration of the previous Decision as you would have been out of the 13 month limit.

Was the request made over the phone or in writing?

If you requested that your claim be looked at again due to a deteriorated condition, then the Decision should be backdated to when you notified the DWP of the Change of Circumstances.

Based on your post it looks as if the DWP are treating this as a re-assessment, not a CofC, in which case the Decision would apply from the date that it was made.

I would take the date of 24 December as the one to use.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago #127780 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Review of worsening health
Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Your request in Feb 2014 would/could not be classed as a reconsideration or an appeal of the original WRAG award made in May 2012.

The absolute time limit for a reconsideration/appeal is no more than 13 months after an adverse decision.

As it seems that your condition changed/deteriorated, the request for a reassessment of the WRAG award that you made in Feb 2014 would be classed as a Supersession/Review.

As this Supersession/Review was instigated by you the claimant and not The DWP ESA Decision Maker, any arrears owed as a result of the superceding decision should be backdated to the date of your initial request.

This should be from the date of your original letter containing the request. (Have you kept a copy, and do you have proof of posting and receipt of it by The DWP ?)

At the latest, any arrears owed should be backdated to the time of returning : The ESA 50 Questionnaire, which you describe as "just a medical form".

Therefore, the whole of your Contribution Based ESA with The Support Group (SG) Component addition should be payable from that date.

Payment of CB ESA in The SG should remain in payment for as long as you stay in The SG, or you reach State Retirement Age. :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Further, now that you are in The SG you no longer have to take part in any Work Related Activity/Work Focused Interviews, (WRA/WFI) although you can do so voluntarily if you wish.

As you are now in The SG, you may also be entitled to The Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP)

See : ESA Premiums

However, even though being in The SG gives you a potential entitlement to The EDP, to be paid it, you would have to pass the means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if you have one.

This is because all ESA Premiums are paid as Income Related (IR) ESA top-ups :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

The fact that you did not receive IR ESA payments when your CB ESA payments ceased may be an indication that you could not pass the means test for payment of IR ESA.

As you are not challenging an adverse decision, (As you have been placed into The SG) there is no time limit with regards to any back payment of arrears owed.

I would however contact The DWP ASAP in writing regarding this :

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries.

bro58

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127905 by sirius1
Replied by sirius1 on topic ESA Review of worsening health
Hi received phone call yesterday, informing me that I am entitled to back payment to when I asked for a review to go from ESA wrag to support group in February 2014. Its only taken 10 months. Thanks BW site for all the help and advice. The more you complain to the DWP complaints dept. the quicker things seem to move. :) :) :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago #127924 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Review of worsening health

Terry Ambrose wrote: Hi received phone call yesterday, informing me that I am entitled to back payment to when I asked for a review to go from ESA wrag to support group in February 2014. Its only taken 10 months. Thanks BW site for all the help and advice. The more you complain to the DWP complaints dept. the quicker things seem to move. :) :) :)

That's really good news TA !! :)

Thanks for letting us know, and for your complimentary comments regarding B&W.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.