× Members

ADVICE PLEASE. WHAT SHOULD OR COULD I CLAIM

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127820 by nykdem
Our current situation is complicated so please bear with me while I try to explain it as simply as I can.

My wife is disabled and currently gets DLA High Rate Care and Mobility on an indefinite basis. She also receives ESA (income related) at the support group rate. I receive Carers Allowance which is then taken directly from my wife's ESA. As a couple we receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit. The only benefit I am actually named on is Carers Allowance. My name is not on my wife's ESA claim and I have no entitlement to Income Support, Jobseekers etc (according to the DWP) therefore I do not get any passported benefits eg free sight tests, free prescriptions etc.

Over the last few years I have become more and more unwell and have now got to the stage where I can no longer fulfill my role as my wife's carer. I have:- acquired hypothyroidism, small fibre neuropathy, functional neurological disorder, prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine and stenosis in my cervical spine, depression. I am on a number of medications including thyroxine, anti-depressants, painkillers eg OxyContin, liquid morphine

As a whole, these illnesses cause the following symptoms, amongst others:- severe stutter/slurred speech, short term memory loss, difficulty retaining and processing information, pain/numbness/burning/electric shocks in feet and hands, daily migraines, nausea, severe pain/numbness/weakness in right foot/lower leg/hip/groin, difficulty walking more than a few metres, pain and lack of movement in neck, numbness in upper spine, pain in right forearm, clumsiness, insomnia, lack of appetite, weightloss, intermittent feacal and urinary incontinence.

I am currently seeing 2 neurologists, a physiotherapist, a speech therapist.

Fortunately, my wife's social worker has arranged a care package that helps both my wife and myself with daily living functions, although it is all in my wife's name because I do not receive the right benefits to qualify for care. The social worker also suggested that I claim benefits in my own right. She thought I should claim PIP, ESA etc but she wasn't sure what the rules were regarding couples claiming disability/sickness benefits.

I also have a problem when I phone the DWP. For some reason my NI number comes up on their system as a 'sensitive file' so I can only ever speak to a supervisor who has access to my file which, in itself, causes problems trying to get the answers I need.

So ................ My question is this ............... Based on the above information, what benefits should I be entitled to and/or, which benefits should I apply for?

(Written by my friend, as my spelling, grammar and word finding has suffered as a consequence of my FND)

Thankyou, in advance, for any assistance in this matter.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127840 by

nykdem wrote: Our current situation is complicated so please bear with me while I try to explain it as simply as I can.

My wife is disabled and currently gets DLA High Rate Care and Mobility on an indefinite basis. She also receives ESA (income related) at the support group rate. I receive Carers Allowance which is then taken directly from my wife's ESA. As a couple we receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit. The only benefit I am actually named on is Carers Allowance. My name is not on my wife's ESA claim and I have no entitlement to Income Support, Jobseekers etc (according to the DWP) therefore I do not get any passported benefits eg free sight tests, free prescriptions etc.

Over the last few years I have become more and more unwell and have now got to the stage where I can no longer fulfill my role as my wife's carer. I have:- acquired hypothyroidism, small fibre neuropathy, functional neurological disorder, prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine and stenosis in my cervical spine, depression. I am on a number of medications including thyroxine, anti-depressants, painkillers eg OxyContin, liquid morphine

As a whole, these illnesses cause the following symptoms, amongst others:- severe stutter/slurred speech, short term memory loss, difficulty retaining and processing information, pain/numbness/burning/electric shocks in feet and hands, daily migraines, nausea, severe pain/numbness/weakness in right foot/lower leg/hip/groin, difficulty walking more than a few metres, pain and lack of movement in neck, numbness in upper spine, pain in right forearm, clumsiness, insomnia, lack of appetite, weightloss, intermittent feacal and urinary incontinence.

I am currently seeing 2 neurologists, a physiotherapist, a speech therapist.

Fortunately, my wife's social worker has arranged a care package that helps both my wife and myself with daily living functions, although it is all in my wife's name because I do not receive the right benefits to qualify for care. The social worker also suggested that I claim benefits in my own right. She thought I should claim PIP, ESA etc but she wasn't sure what the rules were regarding couples claiming disability/sickness benefits.

I also have a problem when I phone the DWP. For some reason my NI number comes up on their system as a 'sensitive file' so I can only ever speak to a supervisor who has access to my file which, in itself, causes problems trying to get the answers I need.

So ................ My question is this ............... Based on the above information, what benefits should I be entitled to and/or, which benefits should I apply for?

(Written by my friend, as my spelling, grammar and word finding has suffered as a consequence of my FND)

Thankyou, in advance, for any assistance in this matter.

Hi n,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Before I continue, I must make it clear that we cannot possibly give totally accurate advice regarding which benefits you may or may not be entitled to, or what would be the best options pertaining to your own personal and financial situation, within the restrictions of an open forum.

We always advise that you seek face to face advice where they will have access to all your personal and financial details :

Where to get advice

The Cab, and Age UK (if you are over 50) are very good sources of Benefits entitlement and advice.

Failing the above potential sources, you could put Welfare Rights/Advice into Google for your Town/Postcode.

You could also try these online Benefit Calculators to give you an idea of any potential entitlement :

Benefits Calculator

Benefits Calculator

However. I will endeavour to offer you generic advice within the remit of the forum.

If you can no longer provide the minimum requisite 35 hours/Week care for you wife, then you will have to inform : The Carers Allowance Unit to report this as a Change in Circumstances.

See also Carers UK CA.

I believe that they can continue to pay CA for up to 8 weeks after entitlement ends.

You would also have to inform the DWP Benefits Office that administers your wife's ESA, so that they can make the necessary adjustments (+ The LA HB & CT Departments and The DWP offices that administer any other benefits) :

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

As your wife is in receipt of Income Related (IR) ESA, you could not make a claim in your own right (Even if you could, it would have to be for Contribution Based (CB) ESA, and this would be classed as income for the IR ESA means test, plus you would need the requisite number of NI Contributions/Credits (NI C's) for entitlement to CB ESA.)

You should be aware here, that you do receive NI C's whilst in receipt of CA.

Your wife may be able to put you on her IR ESA claim for the couple rate.

You can definitely make a claim for PIP in your own right, and as your wife is in receipt of HR Care DLA, if you can attain a PIP award for The Daily Living Component, you may also be entitled to The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) which could be paid as : ESA Premiums.

For information on PIP and how to claim, see :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

PIP Topic Thread in Spotlight Area

So, a claim by you for PIP is a definite, if you wish to, and it will have no adverse effect whatsoever on any other benefits that you or your wife may be receiving.

With the number of different benefits that you and your wife are in receipt of, it is not a straightforward issue.

This is why ideally you need professional face to face advice.

I am afraid that is the extent of the advice that I can offer regarding your post, but please feel free to pose any other queries that you may have by replying to this topic.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #127893 by nykdem
Replied by nykdem on topic ADVICE PLEASE. WHAT SHOULD OR COULD I CLAIM
Thankyou for your reply. I will contact the DWP to change my carers status and seek independant advise. Thankyou.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.