× Members

Some questions regarding PIP descriptors

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127897 by Katykat
Firstly I'd like to say that my husband was awarded support group ESA recently after reading through B&W guide. We both got the opinion that the nurse who carried out his medical assessment was definately leading him with his answers. I'm sure she had made her recommendation prior to the assessment. He has a severe heart problem and faces major surgery. Not sure how much he will improve afterwards but obviously we are optimistic. We have now decided to try for PIP and have been going through the PIP guide. A couple of queries stand out before we tackle the task of filling the form in.
1). What constitutes " preparing a meal"? I do all the cooking, but we are trying to answer honestly, ie, if he was on his own, could he do it himself? The honest answer is that if he could sit down & prepare it, then he could. But he wouldn't be able to go to the supermarket and buy the food. So, how do we answer?
2). Managing medication & monitoring a health condition - he takes 6 different tablet daily, but one of these requires regular blood tests and the results determine what dose he takes, so am I correct in thinking that this constitutes assistance? He also needs a pill organiser because this dosage is never the same each day.
3). He's very wary about the mobility componant. Originally he could not walk 20 m with getting breathless.. Medication is managing this to a reasonable extent but he has become so anxious that he now doesn't actually go walking at all. He is reluctant to put it to the test because last time he did, he ended up in hospital. So how should we answer this?
He's been told not to lift, bend, stretch or exert himself ( cardiologist advice) so even though he can wash, dress etc, he struggles rather than bends down. How would this be answered in Bathing & washing descriptor? He is anxious all the time and I have the feeling that the operation will not relieve these anxieties.
Sorry for the long post but we want to get it right before we send the form off. We do have lots of medical evidence to include.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127925 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Some questions regarding PIP descriptors
Katykat

To try and answer your questions.

1. PIP looks at what a claimant cannot do, not what they do not do. The preparing food test is concerned only with the preparation of the food and its cooking. There is a more detailed explanation in the PIP Claim guides including the legal definitions of "prepare", "cook" and "simple meal".

2. It would depend, for example, a diabetic takes daily blood samples but would be expected to do this themselves using an aid, some treatments require regular blood tests, this would normally done by a nurse which would constitute assistance, however, unless they were daily may not be of sufficient frequency to be of value to a claim.

3. Once again the walking test is about your husbands physical ability to walk, so you need to explain any limitation in reference to this, his not walking because of what I am sure are perfectly valid concerns will not count. I am afraid that the assessor and the DM will be looking for empirical evidence of how far he can walk reliably so if possible try and do some tests across several days, stick to simple measurements; metres or yards for distance and seconds or minutes for time, don't be tempted to try and convert to miles per hour, etc. that is where claimants usually muck it up.

Remember that all activities have to be completed Reliably;

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katykat

More
9 years 3 months ago #127946 by Katykat
Replied by Katykat on topic Some questions regarding PIP descriptors
Thank you Gordon. We'll take the preparing food along the line of he would need to sit down if he prepared & cooked a meal. We will also do the walking tests and monitor it closely. The blood tests and other aids regarding his medication, we'll just put it all down and let them make a decision. I don't know if they will send him for a medical or if they are likely to use the results from his ESA medical which was only last month. As I said in my post, the nurse was definately putting words in his mouth. I recorded the whole thing purely for our own record and she mentioned his breathlessness 15 times and fatigue 12 times. He was not looking forward to it beforehand as he has been prodded, poked & questioned by medics such a lot in the past 6 months, but in all fairness it all went smoothly and we had no complaints. He got the decision letter 2 weeks later but we already had an idea that he had been approved because he got a lump sum payment into he bank after just 12 days. The letter just confirmed the support group placement. So, gold star to ATOS for a change.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127955 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Some questions regarding PIP descriptors
Katykat

It is possible that his ESA report will be used, but whilst there are areas of overlap between the two benefits there are also many areas where there are significant differences.

I am afraid there is no way to pre-empt how the Assessment Provider will view the information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.