× Members

PIP – mythical consultation centre

More
9 years 4 months ago #128073 by elaine pyrke
PIP – mythical consultation centre was created by elaine pyrke
I have been called to a PIP consultation in Preston, 45 miles away.
I wrote and requested a new appointment (as the one given was 11.00 am and I had specified on my PIP2 form that health-wise an afternoon appointment would be easier to manage) and I asked that the new appointment be in Kendal.

The ATOS website says there are two PIP consultation sites in Kendal, one of them less than half a mile from my house
www.atoshealthcare.com/pip/consultation_...s/north_west_england
but I have now had an email from them which states ‘we do not have an assessment centre in Kendal’.

I wonder how many more of these consultation centres are in fact mythical, why they are listed on a public website, and whether my MP would be interested.
Does B&W know any more about non-existent centres?

I explained in detail in my letter why I needed an afternoon appointment, and why the consequences to my health would be greater if required to travel to Preston rather than locally. They haven’t offered me a new time, just asked me to ring for a new appointment – despite my form and letter specifically saying I find it difficult and exhausting to make phone calls and not to ask me to ring them back!

I guess I email back for another appointment, in the afternoon, and accept I have to travel to Preston (even Lancaster would be nearer, but maybe that’s mythical too). Probably too much hassle to argue for a home visit.

Have I used up my only chance of a rearranged appointment, or does this count as their fault for giving a morning appointment?

Thanks as ever for this site and forum, I really appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #128077 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP – mythical consultation centre
Elaine

There has been some concerns raised over how well ATOS are fulfilling their commitments under the PIP Assessment Contract, I guess this is an indication.

If you specified that you categorically could not attend a morning appointment, rather than specifying a preference then the re-arranged appointment should not count against you, but you may need to remind ATOS about it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: elaine pyrke

More
9 years 2 months ago #130957 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic PIP – mythical consultation centre/my PIP con
I finally had my PIP consultation, in Preston.

Although I had emphasised beforehand that the need for a new appointment was their fault, having ignored my stated need for an afternoon appointment, their email said explicitly they would be unable to re-arrange the appointment again.

They also said that the initial appointment ‘was system generated and unfortunately the system does not pick up requests’. So the form asks you about your needs re appointments, and then ignores them. Huh.

I asked why they do not have an assessment centre in Kendal, when their website says they do, to which the answer was ‘The current list we have available on our website may not be a full list due to recent increase in our estates and recent closures of centres in certain areas.’

On the day itself: I turned up for my appointment, and had hardly got my foot in the door when the receptionist said my appointment was cancelled and they had rung me up that morning to tell me.

I pointed out that I have never given DWP/ATOS my phone number, and asked why they hadn’t emailed. She said they were forbidden to email because of Data Protection.

I pointed out that I had already had an email correspondence with them. I also said I had a 90 mile round trip. She then demanded my ID and rang another office – it was clear from what she said that I was not the only person whose appointment was cancelled who had turned up that day.

I felt under considerable pressure to give my phone number, and to go away; I’m glad I didn’t do either. Eventually she said if I was willing to wait up to an hour I would be seen. I was actually seen 10 minutes after my appointment time. So that was a lot of unnecessary stress.

The receptionist said the cancellation was because they had building work going on, the Health Professional said it was because they booked five people for every slot but only had four rooms available.

The actual consultation lasted just under an hour, and I don’t think the questions brought out any information I hadn’t already put on the form. I should get a decision within about 8 weeks, the HP (‘from a nursing background’) said. She was perfectly pleasant, but I’m not reading anything hopeful into that.

Anyhow, no questions, I just thought people might be interested in one more personal experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lindat, slugsta, Lynn798

More
9 years 2 months ago #131057 by naheegan
I appreciate your post elaine, it's informative and helpful for me as a candidate for PIP assessment in the near future.
I am also wondering why the consultation didn't take place in Barrow -where ATOS has offices in the town centre and has carried out assessments for ages, and which certainly would have been a lot nearer to you than Preston!

Hopefully you will have positive news of a favourable decision about your claim soon :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: elaine pyrke

More
9 years 2 months ago #131116 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic PIP – mythical consultation centre/my PIP con
According to their website they also have a PIP centre in Lancaster, even nearer than Barrow - but I felt I'd shot my bolt asking for the Kendal centre that turned out not to exist - I was worried they might be mythical too.

The HP in Preston implied that they hadn't been open long and previously people had to go to Manchester, I've no way of checking that. Seems ridiculous.

I used the B&W Guide when filling in the form, of course, but I also re-read it the night before the PIP con - I think it made me feel a lot more in control and confident, and that I am a human being with rights. (Easy to forget that in this demeaning system.)

I'm sure without that confidence I would just have crumpled and caved in when they said it was cancelled and I should give them my phone number and go away. And I'd really be regretting that - having the thing hanging over me for an indefinite further period, and knowing the DWP could ring me any moment they feel like it - doesn't bear thinking about it.

Thanks, and all the best Naheegan with your own assessment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: naheegan

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris