× Members

ESA (CB) eligibility

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #128213 by Jonathan
ESA (CB) eligibility was created by Jonathan
Hi,

Since 2010 I've been in receipt of ESA (IR), however I am not sure why I've not been eligible for ESA (CB)? I never bothered with this until now, but it is possible that soon my savings may go above £6000, so I am looking into this.

My ESA entitlement letters always state that I have not paid or have not been credited with enough NI contributions from the tax years 2007/08 and 2008/09. However, from 2005 until 2010 I was self employed, paying Class 2 NICs, and today I received a NI contributions record from HMRC which confirmed that, for the relevant tax years, I paid 52 Class 2 NICs in 07/08 and 53 Class 2 NICs in 08/09. The statement shows "payment not needed" for all of these years, which would suggest that I had accumulated sufficient NI contributions in those years, and it does explicitly state that these were Class 2 NICs, rather than Class 3 which wouldn't count for ESA (CB) purposes.

Is there a minimum number of Class 2 NICs required to be eligible for ESA (CB) or any other condition that I am unaware of, as I cannot understand why, in light of the contributions paid in the relevant tax years, I have never been eligible for ESA (CB). I know JSA (CB) requires Class 1 NICs, but my understanding is that either Class 1 or Class 2 NICs can count towards entitlement for ESA (CB).

My claim has always been assessed as ESA (IR), even back before the 365 day ESA (CB) limit for WRAG claimants came into force. I'm in the SG anyway, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #128239 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA (CB) eligibility
Jonathan

I would get in touch with the DWP with a copy of Contribution statement, from what you have posted there appears to be no reason why you weren't originally placed on ESA(CB). It is not unknown for the DWP to get a claimants Contributions wrong, especially when they are self-employed.

Assuming that this is resolved in your favour, being in the SG you would still entitle you to an ESA(IR) top-up which would be affected by your savings.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan

More
9 years 3 months ago #128255 by Jonathan
Replied by Jonathan on topic ESA (CB) eligibility
Thanks a lot, Gordon.

I'll do that. I will probably phone them tomorrow and then follow it up with a letter if necessary.

You're right insofar as I would aim to also receive the ESA (IR) topup, which raises another question. If and when my savings hit £6000, I presume I must write to DWP. But then if, the next week, the savings dip below £6000, do I have to write to them again, and keep writing every time it goes above and below the threshold?

This could end up costing a fair amount in stamps!

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129693 by Jonathan
Replied by Jonathan on topic ESA (CB) eligibility
Hi,

Just to update you on this.

Due to other things happening I wasn't able to do anything about it until today. I phoned up and was told I'm already on ESA (CB) with an ESA (IR) top-up.

I was sceptical, so she checked with her team leader to confirm what it said on the screen, and she said it was right. She offered a callback from the benefit centre, which I accepted, and, she too, confirmed I'm receiving CB + IR topup.

So I'm confused why my benefit letters always repeat the old mantra that "this assessment is based on how much the law says you need to live on. You do not have, or have not been credit with, enough National Insurance contributions for them to be used in this assessment".

Does that statement appear on all benefit letters for those in receipt of the IR topup with ESA (CB)? Very misleading if so...
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129694 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA (CB) eligibility

Jonathan wrote: Hi,

Just to update you on this.

Due to other things happening I wasn't able to do anything about it until today. I phoned up and was told I'm already on ESA (CB) with an ESA (IR) top-up.

I was sceptical, so she checked with her team leader to confirm what it said on the screen, and she said it was right. She offered a callback from the benefit centre, which I accepted, and, she too, confirmed I'm receiving CB + IR topup.

So I'm confused why my benefit letters always repeat the old mantra that "this assessment is based on how much the law says you need to live on. You do not have, or have not been credit with, enough National Insurance contributions for them to be used in this assessment".

Does that statement appear on all benefit letters for those in receipt of the IR topup with ESA (CB)? Very misleading if so...

Hi J,

I have not seen that many ESA award letters where the claimant is in receipt of CB ESA with IR ESA top-ups.

However, the one's that I have seen do not include the statement regarding NI Contributions.

Other members are free to add comment.

We do hear from a lot of members where the ESA letters that receive do not seem to have context to what they are being paid.

The DWP do seem to have the habit of using letters and phrases that are not truly applicable to the claimant's circumstances.

If you still have any doubts, you could ask that they send you a letter simply stating that you are being paid CB ESA with IR ESA top-ups.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129696 by cbrad
Replied by cbrad on topic ESA (CB) eligibility
Hi
I get both contribution based and income related ESA and my letters state, this assessment is based on how much the law says you need to live on and your national insurance contribution record and then on the page giving breakdown of entitlements it states, the payment of ESA is based on your national insurance contribution record and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.

I agree dwp letters are very confusing

Hope this helps

Cbrad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.